<abbr> in cells and headers of a table

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 20, 2004

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:39:35 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
    <> wrote:

    >I tried to use <abbr> either in headers or cells

    You mean the abbr attribute of th, not the <abbr> element don't you?

    >but the table still shows
    >the normal text even when I resize the window of the browser and a part of
    >the table on the right of the screen is not visible any more.
    >Why ?

    Why did you expect the visual display to change? The abbr attribute is
    not supported in any meaningful way by any graphical browser that I
    know of (it may be accessible to scripting via the DOM but that's
    another matter).

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Oct 20, 2004

  3. "Steve Pugh" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:39:35 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I tried to use <abbr> either in headers or cells

    > You mean the abbr attribute of th, not the <abbr> element don't you?

    Yes.

    > >but the table still shows
    > >the normal text even when I resize the window of the browser and a part

    of
    > >the table on the right of the screen is not visible any more.
    > >Why ?

    > Why did you expect the visual display to change? The abbr attribute is
    > not supported in any meaningful way by any graphical browser that I
    > know of (it may be accessible to scripting via the DOM but that's
    > another matter).
    >
    > Steve

    If the abbr attribute of th is not supported should I rather write the
    abbreviation in the cell instead and then give information about what this
    means on the same page?
    Or is the abbr attribute useful in some other way?

    -- Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.italymap.dk/
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/husiitalien.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 20, 2004
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:21:37 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> wrote:

    > If the abbr attribute of th is not supported should I rather write the
    > abbreviation in the cell instead and then give information about what
    > this means on the same page?
    > Or is the abbr attribute useful in some other way?

    It's intended use is when the user can't just glance up at the headers and
    see what they are. Imagine you are using a speech browser that when a cell
    is reached reads out the headers for that cell. It would be tedious to
    have it read out a lengthy header for each cell so instead it can read out
    a shorted header - the content of the abbr attribute is the shortened
    header.

    Including the content of the abbr attribute in the page content won't help
    anyone. It'd duplicating information that's already there. You seem to be
    unsing abbr correctly. So either leave it as is for those (hypothetical?)
    browsers that do support it, or remove it entirely as something that isn't
    worth the effort.

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Oct 20, 2004
  5. Luigi Donatello Asero

    jake Guest

    In message <rljdd.6572$>, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> writes
    >Hi,
    >I tried to use <abbr> either in headers or cells but the table still shows
    >the normal text even when I resize the window of the browser and a part of
    >the table on the right of the screen is not visible any more.
    >Why ?
    >

    >http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test.html
    >http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/hyresfoermedlingdel2.html
    >
    >-- Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    >http://www.italymap.dk/
    >http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html

    The 'abbr' is what a talking browser will speak in place of the full
    heading when someone with an AT UA is navigating the table.

    It works fine; don't worry about it.

    PS. Leave a 'space' between 'Kund' and '*'. If you don't, Kund* will be
    spoken as [K]--[N]-[D]-[asterisk]

    regards.

    --
    Jake
    jake, Oct 20, 2004
  6. "jake" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In message <rljdd.6572$>, Luigi Donatello Asero
    > <> writes
    > >Hi,
    > >I tried to use <abbr> either in headers or cells but the table still

    shows
    > >the normal text even when I resize the window of the browser and a part

    of
    > >the table on the right of the screen is not visible any more.
    > >Why ?
    > >

    > >http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test.html
    > >http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/hyresfoermedlingdel2.html
    > >
    > >-- Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    > >http://www.italymap.dk/
    > >http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html
    > >

    > The 'abbr' is what a talking browser will speak in place of the full
    > heading when someone with an AT UA is navigating the table.
    >
    > It works fine; don't worry about it.
    >
    > PS. Leave a 'space' between 'Kund' and '*'. If you don't, Kund* will be
    > spoken as [K]--[N]-[D]-[asterisk]

    I have changed it. Thank you.

    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/presentartiklar.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 20, 2004