<abbr> in cells and headers of a table

Luigi Donatello Asero

Steve Pugh

I tried to use <abbr> either in headers or cells

You mean the abbr attribute of th said:
but the table still shows
the normal text even when I resize the window of the browser and a part of
the table on the right of the screen is not visible any more.
Why ?

Why did you expect the visual display to change? The abbr attribute is
not supported in any meaningful way by any graphical browser that I
know of (it may be accessible to scripting via the DOM but that's
another matter).

Steve

Luigi Donatello Asero

Steve Pugh said:
You mean the abbr attribute of th, not the <abbr> element don't you? Yes.

Why did you expect the visual display to change? The abbr attribute is
not supported in any meaningful way by any graphical browser that I
know of (it may be accessible to scripting via the DOM but that's
another matter).

Steve

If the abbr attribute of th is not supported should I rather write the
abbreviation in the cell instead and then give information about what this
means on the same page?
Or is the abbr attribute useful in some other way?

-- Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk/
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/husiitalien.html

Steve Pugh

If the abbr attribute of th is not supported should I rather write the
abbreviation in the cell instead and then give information about what
this means on the same page?
Or is the abbr attribute useful in some other way?

It's intended use is when the user can't just glance up at the headers and
see what they are. Imagine you are using a speech browser that when a cell
is reached reads out the headers for that cell. It would be tedious to
have it read out a lengthy header for each cell so instead it can read out
a shorted header - the content of the abbr attribute is the shortened
header.

Including the content of the abbr attribute in the page content won't help
anyone. It'd duplicating information that's already there. You seem to be
unsing abbr correctly. So either leave it as is for those (hypothetical?)
browsers that do support it, or remove it entirely as something that isn't
worth the effort.

Steve

jake

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Hi,
I tried to use <abbr> either in headers or cells but the table still shows

http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test.html
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/hyresfoermedlingdel2.html

-- Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk/
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html

The 'abbr' is what a talking browser will speak in place of the full
heading when someone with an AT UA is navigating the table.

It works fine; don't worry about it.

PS. Leave a 'space' between 'Kund' and '*'. If you don't, Kund* will be
spoken as [K]--[N]-[D]-[asterisk]

regards.

Luigi Donatello Asero

jake said:
Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Hi,
I tried to use <abbr> either in headers or cells but the table still shows
the normal text even when I resize the window of the browser and a part of
the table on the right of the screen is not visible any more.
Why ?

http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test.html
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/hyresfoermedlingdel2.html

-- Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk/
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html

The 'abbr' is what a talking browser will speak in place of the full
heading when someone with an AT UA is navigating the table.

It works fine; don't worry about it.

PS. Leave a 'space' between 'Kund' and '*'. If you don't, Kund* will be
spoken as [K]--[N]-[D]-[asterisk]

I have changed it. Thank you.

http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/presentartiklar.html