Ability to link?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dr. Compynei, Jul 25, 2006.

  1. Dr. Compynei

    Dr. Compynei Guest

    My theatre outsources ticket sales to an outside company, who then outsource
    their webdesign and IT systems.

    I want to link off our theatres website a link to buy tickets from the
    following site
    http://www.ticketsatbolton.com/
    However, I want to be able to have the next show (namely Dads Army) and be
    able to click to book tickets from that show. I can't copy any links, and I
    know the site runs off asp but I'm no expert at ASP.

    I can use the search page and a few other ways to find the show, and then
    see the listing for when the tickets are available, but I just want the user
    to click 'Click here to buy tickets' and then be presented with a listing,
    without having to search.
    I am told that I can use some parameters in a link to do this, but I don't
    have a clue where to start.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks.
    Dr. Compynei, Jul 25, 2006

  2. Dr. Compynei

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Dr. Compynei wrote:

    > My theatre outsources ticket sales to an outside company, who then outsource
    > their webdesign and IT systems.
    >
    > I want to link off our theatres website a link to buy tickets from the
    > following site
    > http://www.ticketsatbolton.com/

    You can't - They have a badly designed inaccessible (and very ugly)
    site. In particular they've use JavaScript for links, which is a bad
    idea in general but causes you a particular problem when you want to do
    this type of linkage from the outside.

    I'm not even going to begin working out a kludge around this mess. The
    starting point is to fire some "web designers" who don't know the first
    thing about their trade (or at least get them to get their act
    together). This booking site should be replaced forthwith, it's just
    too nasty to accept.
    Andy Dingley, Jul 25, 2006

  3. Dr. Compynei

    rwap Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    > Dr. Compynei wrote:
    >
    > > My theatre outsources ticket sales to an outside company, who then outsource
    > > their webdesign and IT systems.
    > >
    > > I want to link off our theatres website a link to buy tickets from the
    > > following site
    > > http://www.ticketsatbolton.com/

    > You can't - They have a badly designed inaccessible (and very ugly)
    > site. In particular they've use JavaScript for links, which is a bad
    > idea in general but causes you a particular problem when you want to do
    > this type of linkage from the outside.
    >
    > I'm not even going to begin working out a kludge around this mess. The
    > starting point is to fire some "web designers" who don't know the first
    > thing about their trade (or at least get them to get their act
    > together). This booking site should be replaced forthwith, it's just
    > too nasty to accept.

    Yes it does appear to be a terrible website - developed by a
    programming hack - even all the dates etc are hardcoded. I
    particularly like how when you have chosen a date range from the popup
    (you cannot amend it directly), it changes the format just before doing
    a search.

    I tried searching for Dad's Army on the site and it doesn't find
    anything - just a blank page even when changing the dates for the next
    12 months.

    If I were the original poster, I would get in touch with the Albert
    Halls Bolton (or the designers), say what they want to do and ask them
    to redesign the site so that it can be found in search engines for
    starters !! If there was proper co-operation, both sites would use the
    same database to at least ensure that the list of events on the 2 sites
    were the same.

    Rich Mellor
    www.internetbusinessangels.com
    rwap, Jul 25, 2006