Aborting Fucntions

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Willem Oosthuizen, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Does a return abort a function immediately? I wouls imagine so.
    Willem Oosthuizen, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Willem Oosthuizen

    Alan Fitch Guest

    "Willem Oosthuizen" <> wrote in message
    news:bejf2j$rq9$...
    > Does a return abort a function immediately? I wouls imagine so.

    Yes, because VHDL functions cannot contain wait statements, or
    assignments to external names (*), the function is guaranteed
    to consume no time and have no side effects,

    regards

    Alan

    (*) unless you use shared variables, but you wouldn't want
    to do that, would you!

    --
    Alan Fitch
    Consultant

    DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how
    VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Verification * Project
    Services

    Doulos Ltd. Church Hatch, 22 Market Place, Ringwood, Hampshire, BH24
    1AW, UK
    Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223 mail:

    Fax: +44 (0)1425 471573 Web:
    http://www.doulos.com

    the
    views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.
    Alan Fitch, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Willem Oosthuizen

    MK Guest

    It depend what you mean "immediately".

    Function does not contain any wait statement (just for if you mean any
    simulation time elapsing).

    Function can have declared files, which are closed automatically before you
    leave the function.

    regards,
    MK.

    MK, Jul 11, 2003