About 30 chapters on C++ doubts

peter koch

The first entry I took was item 20, which had item #93 as its first
item:

93. Why qsort is Still Useful in C++
C++ defines a set of generic algorithms such as sort and find.
However, the corresponding C algorithms, qsort and bsearch, are still
useful in C++ programs for at least three reasons:
• Legacy code. Familiarity with C algorithms is needed to maintain
legacy C code.
[you had that one right]

• Efficiency. You cannot apply STL algorithms to items that are not
stored in an STL container. [ wrong! ]
To apply these algorithms to a built-in array, you first have to copy
it into a container [ wrong! ]
--an operation that incurs runtime overhead.
• Applicability to non-OO data types. STL algorithms rely on operators
== and >.
[ wrong! ]
However, these operators are either meaningless or not defined when
applied to plain structs or built-in arrays. C algorithms do not rely
on these operators to work.

So for that one item you had three wrongs and one right.
I hope you remove those pages - a beginner might find them and believe
you.

/Peter

parag_paul

Try this one for 30 chapters on C++ doubts,

[...]

I actually want to get them correct over time. This is not a paste and
forget attempt from me.
I will keep asking them individually over a period, start discussions
and get to the bottom of all of them.
This is an attempt to solve problems when a question and probable
asnswer is in hand. In the forums like this I typically come across a
visible network of though processes. Not everybody thinks same, no
geography or demography explains or demarks itself in their anwering
methods, but experts differ and they produce scenarios .
I really enjoy being able to get in touch with you, who make so much
difference to the answers I have

I appreciate it
-Parag