About ASP.NET Impersonation:

Guest

Hello, friends,

Our asp.net app needs to access other servers from our IIS servers. In
web.config, we set:

<identity impersonate="true"/>

However, this works on some IIS servers, and does not work on the rest of
IIS servers. We have to explicitly set:

<identity impersonate="true" userName="IISGroup\userName"
password="password" />

to make it work again.

Why? Any ideas? We don't want to have userName/password in web.config...

Thanks a lot.

Bruce Barker

standand nt creditials can not be forwarded. if iis impersonates the client,
it does not have a primary security token, and thus can not use to access a
network resource (1 hop rule).

to get around you have to switch to kerberos from ntlm, and enable
creditials forwarding (a server option) on all the network resources. see:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810572

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)