About const reference bounding to temporary variables.

Guest

Hi, folks,
Look at the following snippet:

int main()
{
double temp = 2.0;
const double& r = 2.0 + temp; // without const, an err will be
raised

return 0;
}

As the comment block illustrated, without "const" qualifier

error: could not convert `(temp + 2.0e+0)' to `double&'

will be raised, I know, you can't use an expression to initialize a
reference, but why it's OK with const qualifier? Thanks, you guys.

Gianni Mariani

刘昊 said:
Hi, folks,
Look at the following snippet:

int main()
{
double temp = 2.0;
const double& r = 2.0 + temp; // without const, an err will be
raised

return 0;
}

As the comment block illustrated, without "const" qualifier

error: could not convert `(temp + 2.0e+0)' to `double&'

will be raised, I know, you can't use an expression to initialize a
reference, but why it's OK with const qualifier? Thanks, you guys.

The answer is ... because the C++ specification says so.

I think it is because it conforms to the "path of least surprise" rule.
It makes little sense to modify the result of an expression (a
temporary). There are other probably better reasons...

Guest

Thank you, GM,

I think I've figured out what's going on here.

double& r = 2.0+temp;

The compiler generates a temporary variable we can not see to
initialize the reference, it makes no sense to let an expression be a
L value, so the compiler enforces this by raising an error if we
remove the "const" qualifier before the reference.

Kai-Uwe Bux

Gianni said:
The answer is ... because the C++ specification says so.

I think it is because it conforms to the "path of least surprise" rule.
It makes little sense to modify the result of an expression (a
temporary).

If that was the reason, the standard could just say that temporaries are
const. However, it is perfectly legal to modify temporaries: you can call
non-const member functions on temporaries.

In fact, you can use this to circumvent the language restriction on binding
a temporary to a non-const reference:

struct I_can_bind {

I_can_bind & me ( void ) {
return ( *this );
}

};

void some_fct ( I_can_bind & ref ) {}

some_fct( I_can_bind().me() );

There are other probably better reasons...

One thing is automatic conversions. Consider:

void inc ( double & d ) {
d += 1.0;
int i = 5;
inc( i );

In this case, a temporary double would be constructed from i and then the
temporary would be incremented instead of i.

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

Guest

First, thank you, KUB,
One thing is automatic conversions. Consider:

void inc ( double & d ) {
d += 1.0;
int i = 5;
inc( i );

In this case, a temporary double would be constructed from i and then the
temporary would be incremented instead of i.
Have you tried on your compiler(s)? I've tried both on g++ and cl,
none of them will get through without error, they both complained that
you can not convert an int to double&.

Kai-Uwe Bux

First, thank you, KUB,

Have you tried on your compiler(s)? I've tried both on g++ and cl,
none of them will get through without error, they both complained that
you can not convert an int to double&.

May I remind you that we are discussing the rational for C++ not allowing to
initialize a non-const reference from a temporary. The code above _would_
compile in C++ if that provision want not in the standard. See the
following (compiles)

void inc ( double const & d ) {
// d += 1.0;
}

int main ( void ) {
int i = 5;
inc( i );
}

versus (does not compile)

void inc ( double & d ) {
d += 1.0;
}

int main ( void ) {
int i = 5;
inc( i );
}

People wanted the later to not compile and that is one of the reasons that
C++ prohibits binding temporaries to non-const variables.

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux