about creating a java exe file

bharath

hi,
i want to create a exe file from java class file how to create it
and is there any function or a way to run a java file within a java
file

Ingo R. Homann

Hi,
hi,
i want to create a exe file from java class file how to create it
and is there any function or a way to run a java file within a java
file

Why do you need that? I mean, there are some exe-Wrappers, but most of
them need the installation of the JRE as well. And a jar-file can be
executed by a double-click as well. Webstart may be a good alternative
if you only need a "smooth" installation and update. However, JSmooth
may also be an idea for you.

Hth,
Ingo

bharath

Hi,

Why do you need that? I mean, there are some exe-Wrappers, but most of
them need the installation of the JRE as well. And a jar-file can be
executed by a double-click as well. Webstart may be a good alternative
if you only need a "smooth" installation and update. However, JSmooth
may also be an idea for you.

Hth,
Ingo
actually i am doing a project on image processing . i had implemented
the operations like
connected components,otsu binarization ,and several other operations
related to image processing using java and i want an exe file for each
of the java class file and i am a beginner to the java plz help me

Ingo R. Homann

Hi,
...i want an exe file...

As I said: There are some tools - like JSmooth.

As I said: There is no reason to create an exe. An "exeutable jar" is
enough (see the documentation for the command-line-tool 'jar').

Ciao,
Ingo

PS: By the way - if you think that the program runs faster if you create
an exe, then you are wrong. If your Program is slow, normally the reason
is that it is not well implemented.

Ian Wilson

bharath said:
hi,
i want to create a exe file from java class file how to create it

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/articles/java-to-exe.html

Note: Excelsior produce a commercial Java compiler, so are not
disinterested. Having said that, the article seems reasonably fair to me.
and is there any function or a way to run a java file within a java
file

I'm not sure what you mean by "java file": source code, byte code,
native executable?

Joe Attardi

As I said: There is no reason to create an exe. An "exeutable jar" is
enough (see the documentation for the command-line-tool 'jar').

Ingo --

While technically true, there is still some motivation to create a
native .exe launcher vs. an executable jar. It comes down to user
friendliness. If the user does not have an appropriate JRE to run the
program, a native EXE can check for that and warn the user that he/she
needs to download a newer JRE for their platform. The alternative is
getting an UnsupportedClassVersionError - which to your average end
user will be gibberish. So there's one possible reason.

Ingo R. Homann

Hi,

Joe said:
While technically true, there is still some motivation to create a
native .exe launcher vs. an executable jar. It comes down to user
friendliness. If the user does not have an appropriate JRE to run the
program, a native EXE can check for that and warn the user that he/she
needs to download a newer JRE for their platform. The alternative is
getting an UnsupportedClassVersionError - which to your average end
user will be gibberish. So there's one possible reason.

What about a simple starter.jar which runs on *every* JVM independant of
the version?

Ciao,
Ingo

Joe Attardi

What about a simple starter.jar which runs on *every* JVM independant of
the version?

You could do that, I suppose. There still one case where this wouldn't
work, though - if a user doesn't have a JVM installed at all. I know
it is probably an uncommon case, but still one to consider.

Another point to consider is better OS integration. By default a JAR
file will just have a Java icon, whereas a native .exe launcher could
have the application icon embedded in it as a resource. A better
example of where a native launcher would be more beneficial is on a
Mac OS X system. For a clickable-launchable application on the Mac,
there is a whole directory structure that must be set up. But once it
is, it fits right in with the native environment and feels more like a
normal application.

This doesn't matter for more techie/developer oriented programs,
because users like you and I know that we can just double click the
jar and that's good enough for us, because it's a Java program.

But again, you make some good points too - just keeping the discussion
going!