    <!ELEMENT LABEL - - (%inline;)* -(LABEL) -- form field label text -->
    what's the meaning of these dash? and %inline;? Thanks.

    , Aug 20, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > I read the html specification and encounter the following dtd for LABEL
    > element:
    > <!ELEMENT LABEL - - (%inline;)* -(LABEL) -- form field label text -->
    > what's the meaning of these dash? and %inline;? Thanks.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.3 covers that.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Aug 20, 2006

    It's very helpful. Thank you.

    David Dorward 写é“:

    > wrote:
    >
    > > I read the html specification and encounter the following dtd for LABEL
    > > element:
    > > <!ELEMENT LABEL - - (%inline;)* -(LABEL) -- form field label text -->
    > > what's the meaning of these dash? and %inline;? Thanks.

    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.3 covers that.

    > Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    , Aug 20, 2006
  4. Peter Flynn Guest

    wrote:
    > I read the html specification and encounter the following dtd for LABEL
    > element:
    > <!ELEMENT LABEL - - (%inline;)* -(LABEL) -- form field label text -->
    > what's the meaning of these dash? and %inline;? Thanks.

    That's not XML, it's SGML.

    The two dashes are minimization indicators for the start-tag and end-tag
    respectively (here meaning that both must be present: don't forget that
    SGML can allow start-tags and end-tags to be absent-but-implied);

    The %inline; is a Parameter Entity: meaning exactlty the same as in XML,
    that the parser substitutes the value of the entity declared earlier;

    The minus before (LABEL) means it's an exclusion exception: LABEL may
    not occur in the content of LABEL even if %inline; says it may (another
    SGML feature omitted from XML);

    The comment at the end between double dashes is just a comment, but this
    syntax is also forbidden in XML.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/