About fullscreen mode

Abs

Hi!

I'm developing a slideshow java application but I'm new to the whole
Java 2D world. I've read some things about the fullscreen mode only
available for windows and I'd like my app to run in linux too, is that
true ? which is the alternative option, then ? Can you point me in the
right direction, please ?

thanks

Marco Schmidt

Abs:
I'm developing a slideshow java application but I'm new to the whole
Java 2D world. I've read some things about the fullscreen mode only
available for windows and I'd like my app to run in linux too, is that
true ? which is the alternative option, then ? Can you point me in the
right direction, please ?

I've been told that my fullscreen test program at
<http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmidt.geo/java-gui-countdown.html>
runs flawlessly under both Linux/x86 and Mac OS X. Personally, I've
verified that it runs under Windows 2000.

Regards,
Marco

Rob Shepherd

Marco said:
Abs:

I've been told that my fullscreen test program at
<http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmidt.geo/java-gui-countdown.html>
runs flawlessly under both Linux/x86 and Mac OS X. Personally, I've
verified that it runs under Windows 2000.

Regards,
Marco

Some more platform testing for you

test 1. Java 1.4.2, Solaris 9
-----------------------------
$ java -version
java version "1.4.2"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2-b28)

$ uname -a
SunOS escher 5.9 Generic_112233-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000

test 2. Java 1.4.2, FreeBSD
---------------------------
$ java -version
java version "1.4.2-p5"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2-p5-root_18_nov_2003_15_12)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-p5-root_18_nov_2003_15_12, mixed mode)

$ uname -smr
FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p14 i386

Works fine on both platforms.
Would be nice to have an exit function. 'ESC' key or equiv...

regards

Rob

Marco Schmidt

Rob Shepherd:
Some more platform testing for you

test 1. Java 1.4.2, Solaris 9 [...]
test 2. Java 1.4.2, FreeBSD [...]
Works fine on both platforms.

Thanks for testing!
Would be nice to have an exit function. 'ESC' key or equiv...

I assumed that the "close window" keyboard shortcut of each platform
still applies to fullscreen windows (ALT-F4 does work with the
countdown program and Windows). Aren't there corresponding shortcuts
with all the other platforms?

Anyway, the following code inserted after the line

JFrame frame = new JFrame();

in the main method hopefully works on all platforms:

frame.addKeyListener(new KeyListener()
{
public void keyPressed(KeyEvent event) {}
public void keyReleased(KeyEvent event) {
if (event.getKeyChar() == KeyEvent.VK_ESCAPE)
{
System.exit(0);
public void keyTyped(KeyEvent event) {}
}