about ggets()

fidlee

is ggets() a standard c function?
I just tried to use this function in turbo C compiler.
The program actually compiles but on trying to run, the linker throws
an error:
Linker Error: Underfined symbol '_ggets' in module fidlee.c

If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all the
different flavours of C compiler right?

Mark McIntyre

is ggets() a standard c function?
no.

I just tried to use this function in turbo C compiler.
The program actually compiles but on trying to run, the linker throws
an error:
Linker Error: Underfined symbol '_ggets' in module fidlee.c

You'll need to link with the library or C module that has the
definition of ggets in it.

A function called ggets was written by one of hte regulars here. I'm
sure he'll post, but a quick google should turn up a reference.
If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all the
different flavours of C compiler right?

Yes.
Mark McIntyre

Chuck F.

Giannis said:
fidlee wrote:

No, it is a public domain function from CBFalconer (can be found
at http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/index.htm)

Pretty well covers it. However it is written in purely standard C,
so that it should compiler and execute correctly anywhere.

Emmanuel Delahaye

fidlee a écrit :
is ggets() a standard c function?

Of course not. It's an gift from CBFalconer, a famous c.l.c. regular,
and you'll find its code on its site.

I just tried to use this function in turbo C compiler. The program
actually compiles but on trying to run, the linker throws an error:
Linker Error: Underfined symbol '_ggets' in module fidlee.c
--------------------^
You linker sounds seriously broken... Please don't retype but copy and
paste.
If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all the
different flavours of C compiler right?

Surely, it should.

Joe Wright

Emmanuel said:
fidlee a écrit :

Of course not. It's an gift from CBFalconer, a famous c.l.c. regular,
and you'll find its code on its site.

--------------------^
You linker sounds seriously broken... Please don't retype but copy and
paste.

Surely, it should.
I wouldn't go that far. All the different flavors? How old are you?
ggets is not a Standard C function. Assuming Chuck F. did his diligence
and wrote ggets to C90 spec, is Borland Turbo C a Standard C compiler? I
always thought Turbo C was 16-bit DOS.

Emmanuel Delahaye

Emmanuel Delahaye a écrit :
Of course not. It's an gift from CBFalconer, a famous c.l.c. regular,
and you'll find its code on its site.

"/his/ site", of course... Need holidays...

Keith Thompson

Joe Wright said:
Emmanuel said:
fidlee a écrit : [...]
If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all
the different flavours of C compiler right?
Surely, it should.
I wouldn't go that far. All the different flavors? How old are you?
ggets is not a Standard C function. Assuming Chuck F. did his
diligence and wrote ggets to C90 spec, is Borland Turbo C a Standard C
compiler? I always thought Turbo C was 16-bit DOS.

Given the qualification, "If ggets() is a standard function", the
statement is true. In fact, it's vacuously true, since ggets() isn't
a standard function.

Or perhaps Emmanuel was arguing that it should be.