    Linker Error: Underfined symbol '_ggets' in module fidlee.c

    If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all the
    different flavours of C compiler right?
    fidlee, Dec 26, 2005

  2. On 26 Dec 2005 09:35:14 -0800, in comp.lang.c , "fidlee"
    <> wrote:

    >is ggets() a standard c function?

    no.

    >I just tried to use this function in turbo C compiler.
    >The program actually compiles but on trying to run, the linker throws
    >an error:
    >Linker Error: Underfined symbol '_ggets' in module fidlee.c

    You'll need to link with the library or C module that has the
    definition of ggets in it.

    A function called ggets was written by one of hte regulars here. I'm
    sure he'll post, but a quick google should turn up a reference.

    >If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all the
    >different flavours of C compiler right?

    Yes.
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Dec 26, 2005

  3. Giannis Papadopoulos, Dec 26, 2005
  4. fidlee

    Chuck F. Guest

    Giannis Papadopoulos wrote:
    > fidlee wrote:
    >
    >> is ggets() a standard c function?

    > No, it is a public domain function from CBFalconer (can be found
    > at http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/index.htm)

    Pretty well covers it. However it is written in purely standard C,
    so that it should compiler and execute correctly anywhere.

    Chuck F., Dec 26, 2005
  5. fidlee a écrit :
    > is ggets() a standard c function?

    Of course not. It's an gift from CBFalconer, a famous c.l.c. regular,
    and you'll find its code on its site.

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/ggets.zip>

    > I just tried to use this function in turbo C compiler. The program
    > actually compiles but on trying to run, the linker throws an error:
    > Linker Error: Underfined symbol '_ggets' in module fidlee.c

    --------------------^
    You linker sounds seriously broken... Please don't retype but copy and
    paste.

    > If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all the
    > different flavours of C compiler right?

    Surely, it should.

    --
    A+

    Emmanuel Delahaye
    Emmanuel Delahaye, Dec 26, 2005
  6. fidlee

    Joe Wright Guest

    Emmanuel Delahaye wrote:
    > fidlee a écrit :
    >
    >> is ggets() a standard c function?

    > Of course not. It's an gift from CBFalconer, a famous c.l.c. regular,
    > and you'll find its code on its site.
    >
    > <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/ggets.zip>
    >
    >> I just tried to use this function in turbo C compiler. The program
    >> actually compiles but on trying to run, the linker throws an error:
    >> Linker Error: Underfined symbol '_ggets' in module fidlee.c

    > --------------------^
    > You linker sounds seriously broken... Please don't retype but copy and
    > paste.
    >
    >> If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all the
    >> different flavours of C compiler right?

    > Surely, it should.

    I wouldn't go that far. All the different flavors? How old are you?
    ggets is not a Standard C function. Assuming Chuck F. did his diligence
    and wrote ggets to C90 spec, is Borland Turbo C a Standard C compiler? I
    always thought Turbo C was 16-bit DOS.

    --
    Joe Wright
    --- Albert Einstein ---
    Joe Wright, Dec 26, 2005
  7. fidlee said:

    > is ggets() a standard c function?

    Hey, Chuck! This one's for you! Fame at last, eh?

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
    Richard Heathfield, Dec 26, 2005
  8. Joe Wright said:

    > is Borland Turbo C a Standard C compiler?

    Pretty much, yes, if you'll excuse the odd bug or two.

    > I always thought Turbo C was 16-bit DOS.

    So? What has that to do with it?

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 26, 2005
  9. Emmanuel Delahaye a écrit :
    > Of course not. It's an gift from CBFalconer, a famous c.l.c. regular,
    > and you'll find its code on its site.

    "/his/ site", of course... Need holidays...

    --
    A+

    Emmanuel Delahaye
    Emmanuel Delahaye, Dec 26, 2005
  10. fidlee

    Joe Wright Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > Joe Wright said:
    >

    >>is Borland Turbo C a Standard C compiler?

    > Pretty much, yes, if you'll excuse the odd bug or two.
    >

    >>I always thought Turbo C was 16-bit DOS.

    > So? What has that to do with it?

    Thank you. I stand illuminated.

    --
    Joe Wright
    --- Albert Einstein ---
    Joe Wright, Dec 26, 2005
  11. Joe Wright <> writes:
    > Emmanuel Delahaye wrote:
    >> fidlee a écrit :

    [...]
    >>> If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all
    >>> the different flavours of C compiler right?

    >> Surely, it should.
    >>

    > I wouldn't go that far. All the different flavors? How old are you?
    > ggets is not a Standard C function. Assuming Chuck F. did his
    > diligence and wrote ggets to C90 spec, is Borland Turbo C a Standard C
    > compiler? I always thought Turbo C was 16-bit DOS.

    Given the qualification, "If ggets() is a standard function", the
    statement is true. In fact, it's vacuously true, since ggets() isn't
    a standard function.

    Or perhaps Emmanuel was arguing that it should be.

    Keith Thompson, Dec 26, 2005
  12. fidlee

    fidlee Guest

    Joe Wright wrote:
    > Emmanuel Delahaye wrote:
    > > fidlee a écrit :
    > >
    > >> is ggets() a standard c function?

    > > Of course not. It's an gift from CBFalconer, a famous c.l.c. regular,
    > > and you'll find its code on its site.
    > >
    > > <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/ggets.zip>
    > >
    > >> I just tried to use this function in turbo C compiler. The program
    > >> actually compiles but on trying to run, the linker throws an error:
    > >> Linker Error: Underfined symbol '_ggets' in module fidlee.c

    > > You linker sounds seriously broken... Please don't retype but copy and
    > > paste.
    > >
    > >> If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all the
    > >> different flavours of C compiler right?

    > > Surely, it should.
    > >

    > How old are you?

    17 but why did you ask in the first place?
    fidlee, Dec 28, 2005