    thanks,
    Sergio

    , Feb 11, 2007

  2. Arjen Guest

    schreef:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I would like to know if there is some trick to avoid loading an HTML
    > page again is it is already loaded in another browser tab. In that
    > case, instead of loading the page again, I would just like to direct
    > the user to the right tab automatically.

    No and for good reasons :)

    --
    Arjen
    http://www.hondenpage.com

    Arjen, Feb 11, 2007

  3. Ed Mullen Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I would like to know if there is some trick to avoid loading an HTML
    > page again is it is already loaded in another browser tab. In that
    > case, instead of loading the page again, I would just like to direct
    > the user to the right tab automatically.
    >
    > Note: I will have an applet on that page and I want to avoid calling
    > it twice.

    You can't control if a user opens your applet/page once, 2x, 3x, etc.,
    nor whether he opens those in new tabs or new windows. You cannot
    redirect a user's request for a page/applet to a specific window or tab
    in his browser because the browser won't tell about the existence of
    such things.

    However! If the user has his browser's cache enabled (and configured a
    certain way) it is certainly possible (perhaps likely, but I'm not
    willing to go that far) that the request for your page/applet will be
    drawn from the user's local cache and not downloaded again from your
    server. But you have no real control over that. Nor should you.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 11, 2007
  4. On Feb 12, 8:26 am, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi everybody,

    > > I would like to know if there is some trick to avoid loading an HTML
    > > page again is it is already loaded in another browser tab. In that
    > > case, instead of loading the page again, I would just like to direct
    > > the user to the right tab automatically.

    > > Note: I will have anappleton that page and I want to avoid calling
    > > it twice.

    > You can't control if a user opens yourapplet/page once, 2x, 3x, etc.,
    > nor whether he opens those in new tabs or new windows. You cannot
    > redirect a user's request for a page/appletto a specific window or tab
    > in his browser because the browser won't tell about the existence of
    > such things.
    >
    > However! If the user has his browser's cache enabled (and configured a
    > certain way) it is certainly possible (perhaps likely, but I'm not
    > willing to go that far) that the request for your page/appletwill be
    > drawn from the user's local cache and not downloaded again from your
    > server. But you have no real control over that. Nor should you.

    As someone who has had a deal of experience
    with applets, I can only add that Ed got it
    'spot on'.

    If you wish to have more control over the
    deployment of the applet, I recommend you
    look to launching it using Java web start
    (JWS). Here is an exmaple of JWS to launch
    an applet (and an application)
    <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

    Note that although this is an HTML/applet
    question, I would also recommend ..
    comp.lang.java.help
    ...or..
    comp.lang.java.programmer
    ...for any Java related questions (though do
    not mistake Java programmers for people who
    can write valid and robust HTML or JS!).

    HTH

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 12, 2007