About maximum pool size

Bei

In web.config, will there be an issue if I set the maximum pool size to be
too large, like 1000?

I see normally people set it to 100 or less. But I want to make sure there
will be no error like "all pooled connections were in use", so I decided to
make the maximum so large that it will never be reached.

Do you think it's OK, no drawback?

Thanks

Do Quyet Tien

Your database server will spend more memory, and if number too big maybe exceed the number of concurrency connection which your database can handle.

Tiendq,
(e-mail address removed)

Scott Allen

When all the connections are in use, the request is queued for a time
- you won't just start getting exceptions thrown. (At least with the
SQL Server managed provider). Thus a pool of 100 should be able to
service well more than 100 concurrent users, but it will depend on how
the rest of your application is written.

The usual cause for seeing exceptions about all pooled connections in
use is not from having too many users, it is from not using
connections efficiently in the application. Test first and then start
making changes.