    feature of Perl's OO?

    Thanks!
    Davy

    Davy, Aug 7, 2006

  2. Davy

    -berlin.de Guest

    Davy <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am a Perl newbie and familiar with subroutine and reference. And I
    > want to use Perl's OO feature to encapsulate the private data and
    > private function. I just need the encapsulation and don't need
    > inheritance.
    > And I read perlboot and perltoot, but it is too complex for me. Is
    > there any simple but complete tutorial and example on encapsulation
    > feature of Perl's OO?

    There's a lot more literature on Perl OO, but it doesn't get less
    complex than perltoot. Build the Person class described in it and
    play with it.

    For a comprehensive treatment see _Object Oriented Perl_ by Damian
    Conway.

    Anno

    -berlin.de, Aug 7, 2006

  3. Davy

    Guest

    Davy wrote:
    > And I read perlboot and perltoot, but it is too complex for me.

    I also did not find these tutorials very helpful. Others have, but not
    everybody benefits equally from the same material. There's more than
    one way to explain it.

    I think you might benefit (as did I) from Chapter 11 of Simon Cozens'
    book, "Beginning Perl" which you may read online for free (legally) in
    Acrobat format at

    http://www.perl.org/books/beginning-perl

    When I read this, the whole OO thing finally 'clicked' for me. You
    might find other chapters informative as well.

    Welcome to Perl - you won't regret learning it.

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Aug 7, 2006