About Polling Chat Server (Personal Chatting)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Sameer, Feb 13, 2005.

  1. Sameer

    Sameer Guest

    Hello,
    I am in the process of writing a Chat Server for Intranet.
    I completed the message-to-all part of it.

    The Server (Polling Chat Server) part of it act in a non-blocking mode,
    it creates new connections with the clients, read message from a client
    and sends it to all the clients.

    The Client part just accepts the message typed on a text field, send it
    to the server and appends the message received from the server to a
    text field.
    This is the global chatting part.

    Now I need help about the personal-chatting of the clients.
    Each client must be able to chat with any other client which is
    connected to the server in the global chatting.
    How to carry out this?
    Presently both Client and Server are Single-threaded ones.
    Can anybody gives me logical flow of the program to carry out the
    personal-chatting stuff? I am able to program using non-blocking
    ClientSockets.
    How many threads will be there on the Server and on client and what
    each thread will do?

    Please help me ASAP.

    -Sameer Shinde
    Sameer, Feb 13, 2005