    So as a summary I can't see any problem to use absolute positioning meaning
    to move my control to the position where I want to have them.

    //Tony
    Tony Johansson, Nov 23, 2010

  2. Tony Johansson

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Tony Johansson" <> wrote in message
    news:icggmd$5jl$-september.org...
    > Hello!
    >
    > When I use window forms programming it's standard to be able to move the
    > control to the place where I want them on the form.
    >
    > I read in a book and it says "If you have used previous versions of Visual
    > Studio you may remember a feature called grid layout which allowed you to
    > position elements with abolute coordinates by dragging them where you
    > wanted
    > them.
    > Although this model seems convenient it really isn't suited to most web
    > pages because controls can't adjust their positioning when the web page
    > content changes(or when text is resized based on user preferences).
    > This leads to inflexible layout(such as control that overwrite each
    > other)"
    >
    > Can somebody explain this I mean if I position my control where I want
    > them
    > how can this cause the controls to overwrite
    > each other ?
    > So as a summary I can't see any problem to use absolute positioning
    > meaning
    > to move my control to the position where I want to have them.

    With grid layout its easy to forget that the size of your browser window is
    unlikely to be the same as the size of the browser window for your visitors.
    This in turn does leads to the sort of problems you've quoted. Typically
    problems arise when a visitor has a smaller browser window than you've
    designed for.

    Its much better to understand how html works and how to layout pages so they
    can adjust to the available width of the browser.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Nov 23, 2010

  3. Naresh Nagubandi, Nov 24, 2010
  4. Tony Johansson

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Naresh Nagubandi" <> wrote in message
    > by using div or table u can specify the position of control

    Whilst there are times when using a table for positioning (or alignment) is
    just the best way to do it, in general its better to use divs and css for
    alighnment. The practical issue with tables is that the browser won't render
    the contents until it has finished reading to the end of the table - which
    is a non-issue for small tables but can give the impression of a very slow
    to load page when the tables are large.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian