About PyOpenGL

truelixin

I follow the <OpenGL Programming Guide>, write a small test:

#!/usr/bin/env python
# encoding=utf-8

import sys
from OpenGL.GL import *
from OpenGL.GLUT import *

def display():
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT)
glColor(1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
glBegin(GL_POLYGON)
glVertex(0.25, 0.25, 0.0)
glVertex(0.75, 0.25, 0.0)
glVertex(0.75, 0.75, 0.0)
glVertex(0.25, 0.75, 0.0)
glEnd()
glFlush()

def init():
glClearColor(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION)
glLoadIdentity()
glOrtho(0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1.0, -1.0, 1.0)

def main():
glutInit(sys.argv)
glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_SINGLE|GLUT_RGB)
glutInitWindowSize(250, 250)
glutInitWindowPosition(100, 100)
glutCreateWindow('hello')
init()
glutDisplayFunc(display)
glutMainLoop()

if __name__ == '__main__':
main()

But I got an error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "test.py", line 36, in <module>
main()
File "test.py", line 26, in main
glutInit(sys.argv)
File "c:\python25\lib\site-packages\PyOpenGL-3.0.0b8-py2.5-win32.egg
\OpenGL\GLUT\special.py", line 316, in glutInit
_base_glutInit( ctypes.byref(count), holder )
File "c:\python25\lib\site-packages\PyOpenGL-3.0.0b8-py2.5-win32.egg
\OpenGL\GLUT\special.py", line 57, in _base_glutInit
return __glutInitWithExit(pargc, argv, _exitfunc)
File "c:\python25\lib\site-packages\PyOpenGL-3.0.0b8-py2.5-win32.egg
\OpenGL\platform\baseplatform.py", line 280, in __call__
self.__name__, self.__name__,
OpenGL.error.NullFunctionError: Attempt to call an undefined function
__glutInitWithExit, check for bool(__glutInitWithExit) before calling

Can anyone please tell me why?

Cousin Stanley

OpenGL.error.NullFunctionError: Attempt to call an undefined function
__glutInitWithExit, check for bool(__glutInitWithExit) before calling

Can anyone please tell me why?

Your opengl program runs exactly as coded without error
under Debian 5.0 Linux Lenny ....

Perhaps a required library is missing
from your opengl installation ....

Sorry I couldn't provide more help ....

truelixin

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @l33g2000pri.googlegroups.com in comp.lang.python:

To get you code running I needed (in addition to the PyOpenGL download)
to download.

glut-3.7.6-bin.zip (117 KB) fromhttp://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html

and put the glut32.dll where python can find it, the readme says
<windows>\system which worked, but sticking it in the same directory
as python.exe (c:\python25 in your case) worked too.

http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/documentation/installation.html

Rob.
--http://www.victim-prime.dsl.pipex.com/

Yeah! It works now!