About the SOA(service oriented architecture)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Lian Liming, Oct 26, 2005.

  1. Lian Liming

    Lian Liming Guest

    Hi all,

    I have been reading a lot of articles that mention SOA(service
    oriented architecture), and also in those articles, this architecture
    has been said to be how successful and revolutionary. But these
    articles have not given a detail explanation about what SOA really is,
    how to implement this architecture step by step. So I am really
    confused with this conception. How is the SOA different with the
    traditional architecture?

    And now I am working on Java, so I are also very interested with how
    to implement this architecture with java technology. Have anyone in
    this group had any experience of using SOA? or any recommended online
    resource about the detail explanation of implementing SOA with java
    technology?

    Thanks in advance!

    Lian Liming, Oct 26, 2005

  2. Lian Liming

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 25 Oct 2005 18:17:09 -0700, "Lian Liming" <>

    > I have been reading a lot of articles that mention SOA(service
    >oriented architecture),

    <curmudgeonmode>
    It sounds like one of those vague feel good technologies for mangers.
    They can to conferences on it in the Cayman Islands and not have their
    brains stretched. There will be lots of "cloud" diagrams drawn on
    whiteboards to teach it. There will be no actual software product or
    APIs. It is a marketing word like "GL/70" an ingredient that makes new
    software gleam and already sold software obsolete.
    </curmudgeonmode>

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Oct 26, 2005

  3. Lian Liming

    Patrick May Guest

    "Lian Liming" <> writes:
    > I have been reading a lot of articles that mention SOA(service
    > oriented architecture), and also in those articles, this
    > architecture has been said to be how successful and
    > revolutionary. But these articles have not given a detail
    > explanation about what SOA really is, how to implement this
    > architecture step by step. So I am really confused with this
    > conception. How is the SOA different with the traditional
    > architecture?

    There is a Yahoo! group on this very topic:

    The definition of SOA has been discussed ad nauseum there. Consensus
    is somewhat hard to achieve because many of the Web Services vendors
    attempt to define SOA as synonymous with Web Services. It is not. My
    preferred definition is that SOA refers to a design that incorporates,
    at a minimum, the following techniques:

    - Distributed components (services) are accessed via interfaces.
    - Components register with some type of lookup service to make
    themselves available to clients (which may be other services)
    - Clients use the lookup service to find the interface(s) that
    meet their requirements.
    - Clients dynamically bind to the services found via the lookup
    service.

    > And now I am working on Java, so I are also very interested with
    > how to implement this architecture with java technology. Have anyone
    > in this group had any experience of using SOA? or any recommended
    > online resource about the detail explanation of implementing SOA
    > with java technology?

    One of the best technologies for implementing an SOA is Jini
    (http://www.jini.org). I work for a company that sells an SOA product
    based on Jini technology, I would encourage anyone developing large
    distributed systems to at least be aware of Jini.

    Regards,

    Patrick

    S P Engineering, Inc. | The experts in large scale distributed OO

    Patrick May, Oct 26, 2005