    Anyone could tell me how can I extract the contents of outside web site in
    my html file, how can i write it?
    thanks

    Victor, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Victor

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Victor" <> wrote in message
    news:cbek7f$2ov5$...
    > Dear all
    > Anyone could tell me how can I extract the contents of outside web site in
    > my html file, how can i write it?
    > thanks

    Can you rephrase that hon? It's not very clear what you want.

    SpaceGirl, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Victor

    rf Guest

    "Victor" <> wrote in message
    > Dear all
    > Anyone could tell me how can I extract the contents of outside web site in
    > my html file, how can i write it?

    Er, what? Please clarify...

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 24, 2004
  4. rf wrote:
    > Victor wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone could tell me how can I extract the contents of outside web site in
    >> my html file, how can i write it?

    > Er, what? Please clarify...

    Can't you read? He wants to extract the contents of outside web site in
    his html file!

    I think he wants <iframe> or even better:

    <?php include("http://www.google.com/"); ?>

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jun 24, 2004
  5. Victor

    Victor Guest

    i mean i can extract some information from other web site ( i.e. weather)
    and then display in my web site.

    "SpaceGirl" <> ¦b¶l¥ó
    news: ¤¤¼¶¼g...

    Victor, Jun 25, 2004
  6. Victor

    SpaceGirl Guest

    > > > Dear all
    > > > Anyone could tell me how can I extract the contents of outside web

    site
    > in
    > > > my html file, how can i write it?
    > > > thanks

    > > Can you rephrase that hon? It's not very clear what you want.
    > >

    > i mean i can extract some information from other web site ( i.e. weather)
    > and then display in my web site.

    Not easily - however many web sites now offer something called RSS; these
    are free feeds of data in XML format, which you can include in your web site
    totally free (and format it to make it look just the way you want). Anything
    else is technically copyright theft, unless you explicitly get permission of
    the owner of the web site you are leaching from. There is no simple way to
    automate the stealing of other sites content and wrapping it up as if it
    were your own on your web site, and for pretty obvious reasons.

    SpaceGirl, Jun 25, 2004
  7. SpaceGirl wrote:

    > site
    >
    >>in

    >>>Can you rephrase that hon? It's not very clear what you want.
    >>>

    >>i mean i can extract some information from other web site ( i.e. weather)
    >>and then display in my web site.

    > Not easily - however many web sites now offer something called RSS; these
    > are free feeds of data in XML format, which you can include in your web site
    > totally free (and format it to make it look just the way you want). Anything
    > else is technically copyright theft, unless you explicitly get permission of
    > the owner of the web site you are leaching from. There is no simple way to
    > automate the stealing of other sites content and wrapping it up as if it
    > were your own on your web site, and for pretty obvious reasons.

    Depends on how you define "simple way". There are dozens of tools that
    attempt to extract website content, a long list of PHP scripts is here:
    <http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Web_Fetching/index.html>.

    Anybody can grab content with a bit of Regex. Usually it's easier to
    grab content from a well-structured, W3C-compliant site than from a
    tag-soup site.

    The copyright issue is something to consider, of course. And RSS feeds
    are easier to grab.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Jun 25, 2004
  8. Victor

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:44:21 +0200, Matthias Gutfeldt
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Usually it's easier to
    > grab content from a well-structured, W3C-compliant site than from a
    > tag-soup site.

    Good reason to write tag soup, then. :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jun 28, 2004
  9. Victor

    Andy Dingley Guest

    "Victor" <> wrote in message news:<cbek7f$2ov5$>...

    > Anyone could tell me how can I extract the contents of outside web site in
    > my html file, how can i write it?

    I wouldn't do this. Try using RSS instead - it's much easier, and you
    can find RSS feeds to offer almost any content you might wish for.

    You can "screen-scrape" HTML content, but it's difficult. And when
    you've done it, the page designer might re-design their page and then
    all of your code stops working.

    Andy Dingley, Jun 28, 2004
  10. Matthias Gutfeldt wrote:

    > Anybody can grab content with a bit of Regex. Usually it's easier to
    > grab content from a well-structured, W3C-compliant site than from a
    > tag-soup site.

    I find the main determining factor in scraping content is simply
    consistancy. If all the pages use a common, predictable format (e.g. they
    are all generated dynamically) then it's easy to scrape -- standards don't
    come into it.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jun 28, 2004