About XBap, XAML, Browser Applications

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dgk, Mar 29, 2007.

  1. dgk

    dgk Guest

    From what I've been reading, an XBap application could be really good
    for a place like mine where everyone will have a PC that has framework
    3 loaded and runs IE. The app is downloaded from a server but runs in
    the browser, hosted by PresentationHost.exe.

    So, since it gets the app from the server each time that it runs
    (yes?) it makes maintenance easy. But because it isn't a bunch of html
    and javascript but can access almost the full framework, I can program
    stuff that is a pain otherwise. There are sandbox considerations.

    Is this a reasonable distillation of XBap?

    dgk, Mar 29, 2007

  2. dgk

    bruce barker Guest

    currently xbap should be used where you'd use flash as it has simular
    restrictions. you can code a whole application in it (domloading .net
    assemblies), but load time is slower than using wpf/e & javascript.

    its sandbox only allows access back to the same server, so be sure to
    setup webservices for it to call. it will have no access to the local
    box unless your users change their security settings.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Mar 29, 2007

  3. Hi,

    dgk wrote:
    > From what I've been reading, an XBap application could be really good
    > for a place like mine where everyone will have a PC that has framework
    > 3 loaded and runs IE. The app is downloaded from a server but runs in
    > the browser, hosted by PresentationHost.exe.
    >
    > So, since it gets the app from the server each time that it runs
    > (yes?) it makes maintenance easy. But because it isn't a bunch of html
    > and javascript but can access almost the full framework, I can program
    > stuff that is a pain otherwise. There are sandbox considerations.
    >
    > Is this a reasonable distillation of XBap?

    Actually, the app is cached, so the client doesn't fetch it every time
    from the server, unless there is a new version available, or unless the
    cache has been cleaned up.

    Additionally, in your scenario (Intranet), you could run you XBAP in
    full trust, which means that you must install the certificate on every
    PC (can be automated). This way, the XBA has the exact same rights as a
    ClickOnce installed application (including interop, starting new
    processes, file system access, etc...).

    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]
    Software engineering, Blog: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch

    Laurent Bugnion [MVP], Mar 29, 2007
  4. Hi,

    bruce barker wrote:
    > currently xbap should be used where you'd use flash as it has simular
    > restrictions. you can code a whole application in it (domloading .net
    > assemblies), but load time is slower than using wpf/e & javascript.

    I disagree that you'd use XBAP where you'd use Flash. XBAPs are another
    type of animal. I think that WPF/E can be compared to Flash, but XBAPs
    not really. XBAPs are quite a lot more powerful than Flash, if only
    because you're having access to the whole .NET framework, while Flash's
    code behind is really JavaScript (well, ActionScript).

    > its sandbox only allows access back to the same server, so be sure to
    > setup webservices for it to call. it will have no access to the local
    > box unless your users change their security settings.
    >
    > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    I think it would be fair to mention that XBAPs can also be deployed with
    full trust, for example in an Intranet scenario. Full trust means that a
    certificate must be installed, so it's a limitation.

    Also, in .NET 3.5 coming this year (normally), you'll have basic WCF
    services in partial trust too.

    HTH,
    Laurent

    Laurent Bugnion [MVP], Mar 29, 2007
  5. dgk

    dgk Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:50:23 -0700, "Laurent Bugnion [MVP]"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >dgk wrote:
    >> From what I've been reading, an XBap application could be really good
    >> for a place like mine where everyone will have a PC that has framework
    >> 3 loaded and runs IE. The app is downloaded from a server but runs in
    >> the browser, hosted by PresentationHost.exe.
    >>
    >> So, since it gets the app from the server each time that it runs
    >> (yes?) it makes maintenance easy. But because it isn't a bunch of html
    >> and javascript but can access almost the full framework, I can program
    >> stuff that is a pain otherwise. There are sandbox considerations.
    >>
    >> Is this a reasonable distillation of XBap?

    >Actually, the app is cached, so the client doesn't fetch it every time
    >from the server, unless there is a new version available, or unless the
    >cache has been cleaned up.
    >
    >Additionally, in your scenario (Intranet), you could run you XBAP in
    >full trust, which means that you must install the certificate on every
    >PC (can be automated). This way, the XBA has the exact same rights as a
    >ClickOnce installed application (including interop, starting new
    >processes, file system access, etc...).
    >
    >Laurent

    Thanks. I'm not even sure that I need full trust though it's nice to
    have the option. I think I'll play around some more.

    dgk, Mar 30, 2007
  6. FYI: You get those exact benefits with managed usercontrols in 2.0.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Apr 9, 2007