Absolute beginner - is this feasible?

lcazarre

I am by no means a serious programmer (which will become evident as you
read this very message), except that I use VBA almost daily to automate
Excel spreadsheets.

I do enjoy programming however and the only thing that prevented me
from learning a language other than VBA is the lack of a project. Until
today, I was not sure what I would do if I knew how to program in a
language such as Python.

I now feel the need to develop a small program for myself. I have a
free subscription to Factiva (www.factiva.com), which gives me online
access to virtually all newspapers, magazines, etc. using a normal
internet browser.

The bad thing is that I can only access the articles one by one. I wish
I could write a program that would:
- prompt me to choose a publication (let's say The Economist),
- find the latest publication,
- download automatically all the articles in that edition and finally
- combine and format the articles in a single Word document.

This way, I will be able to print the magazine and read it on my way to
the office.

Now my questions:
- is it legal? (I do have a subscription to Factiva. I do not intend to
distribute the printouts)
- If so, can I use Python to automate this task?

Thank you.

Sybren Stuvel

(e-mail address removed) enlightened us with:
- is it legal? (I do have a subscription to Factiva. I do not intend
to distribute the printouts)

Depends on their legal terms. Maybe you should ask them?
- If so, can I use Python to automate this task?

Of course!

Sybren

Michiel Sikma

Op 10-aug-2006, om 14:45 heeft (e-mail address removed) het volgende
geschreven:
Now my questions:
- is it legal? (I do have a subscription to Factiva. I do not
intend to
distribute the printouts)
- If so, can I use Python to automate this task?

Thank you.

I do believe that personal non-commercial usage of such articles is
legal. It's legal to rip CDs for private non-commercial purposes due
to the AHRA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Home_Recording_Act),
so perhaps it's the same for text. :)

You can indeed automate this task, but I don't know if writing to a
Word file is possible. It's a proprietary format, afterall. Making
PDFs should be a breeze, however.

Michiel

Bruno Desthuilliers

[...]

For the legal part, you're on the wrong newsgroup.
- If so, can I use Python to automate this task?

Should be mostly feasible. I can't tell for the conversion to Word (but
is this necessary ?), but I don't see major difficulty for the other
parts. FWIW, I'd start with the 2nd and 3rd points - and I'd eventually
try and find out if these documents are accessible thru RSS feeds first,
which would greatly simplifie the task.

NB : urllib (in the standard lib) and other 3rd part packages like
BeautifulSoup (html parser) or some rss reader may help.
Thank you.

HTH

lcazarre

You can indeed automate this task, but I don't know if writing to a
Word file is possible.

Thanks to you all. I mentioned Word as example. Actually, any format
would do, as long as I can print them (pdf, txt,etc.).

Now I just have to learn Python!

LC