Absolute Beginner

japin0

Hi,
I am a absolute beginner in ASP ..I do have a bit of exposure to .VBS
and other scripting languages.
I need your guidance, where do I start? I had been to MS website Quick
start guide but it says we need a basic web building experience to
undrestand..
Can you please refer to a guide or a website which can cater my need?

rgards

cha

japin0

Thank you all..I am going through the all the links mentioned above and
they look pretty interesting..

Thanks a million

rgerds
cha

Kevin Spencer

And don't forget to buy yourself some Grecian Formula! ASP.Net is great
stuff, but almost guaranteed to give you a few gray hairs in the learning
process.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

clintonG

Go to Amazon and buy a used copy of "Beginning Active Server Pages 2.0"
published by WROX but now out of print. Many consider that book to be the
definitive work on the subject which was used by most of the 'old timers.'
I've sworn by it not at it ;-)

Yes, the W3Schools website is a great reference site but its emphasis can be
said to be syntax and grammar lookup with light usage examples. Another site
is DevGuru.com where the Quick Reference Guides will prove invaluable when
needing to do a quick lookup to determine usage, i.e. how an object is
actually used in practice.

Finally you have to learn JavaScript and the JavaScript FAQs [1],[2] are
arguably the best resources that can be found as [1] is the premier
JavaScript site for usage and [2] a collection of resources.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

[1] http://www.irt.org/script/script.htm
[2] http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/index.phtml/fid/53/

Juan T. Llibre

Thanks for that endorsement, Clinton.

"Beginning Active Server Pages 2.0" is *the* book
I've co-authored which has given me the most pleasure
and positive feedback.

It's available for as little as 48 cents ( used )
or $1.97 ( new ) from Amazon :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/1861001347/

I'd recommend, though, because 3.0 was so much better than 2.0,
"Beginning Active Server Pages 3.0", which I co-authored, too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764543636/qid=1126106706/

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===========================

clintonG said:
[...]

No fooling?

I just checked my bookshelves and sure enough there you are in the credits.
Thank you and your colleagues for helping me to learn ASP Juan noting I just
realized the OP may be in the wrong newsgroup as I responded to the question
responding to ASP failing to make the distinction between ASP and ASP.NET
which is we all agree to be considerable.

If it is ASP.NET the OP is interested in I would say it is going to be a
fool's errand if competency using HTML, JavaScript and CSS have not been
learned. Do we learn to fly the plane before learning how to land it? Which
comes first?

As for me, I migrated from ASP/VBS web development by learning the C#
language using a textbook from Deitel & Deitel ("C# A Programmer's
Introduction") and then I started to learn to use the language using the
..NET Framework by using MCAD Training Guides from QUE. I also have many
other books of course as do most of us.

My rationale for choosing C# has been based on the simple fact that all web
development requires as much mastery of JavaScript as possible. Since C# ,
JavaScript, and Java are lexically the same and all derive from C I asked
myself, "Why not learn three languages for the price of one?" Hello?

clintonG said:
[...]

Hi Guys,
Thanks a lot.. I was going through W3School website and was setting up
my PC with ASP software . I have installed Microsoft.Net Framework 1.1
and when I rename any note pad to .asp extensions it recognises that it
should open with IE but it does run the script it just opens the code
in IE.

What am I doing wrong?

rgds
cha

clintonG said:
[...]

OK, japin.

It's now clear that you want to run ASP.NET (aspx) files,
and not asp files ( even though you say you renamed the
notepad text files to asp ).

First, you don't run aspx files from the file system;
you run them through the web server.

If you installed IIS to the c:\ drive ( did you install IIS before you
installed the .net Framework ? ) , you should have a directory
named c:\inetpub\wwwroot.

Place your aspx file in it, and type this in the IE address bar :

http://localhost/The Name Of Your.aspx

If you have installed both IIS and the net Framework, that should work.
If it doesn't, post back and let us know, and we'll pick it up from there.

==========================

Juan T. Llibre said:
[...]

Yea -- what he said -- ;-) -- noting one point to clarify Juan's comments...

The order IIS and the .NET Framework are installed are critically important.
IIS must be installed first and the .NET Framework second. You may need to
learn to use this tool [1] and there are many tutorials and newsgroup
postings about using this tool that can be found using web search.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ASPNETIISRegistrationToolAspnet_regiisexe.asp

,
[...]

message
[...]

Thanks guys ..its working, I learnt something new today.

Thanks for your help

rgds
cha