Absolute or relative paths

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Peter Smith, Oct 8, 2007.

  1. Peter Smith

    Peter Smith Guest

    Hi all

    I've noticed that some websites use absolute paths when linking to local
    files, e.g. '/', '/style.css, '/images/logos/header.gif' etc., which has
    the advantage that pages in subdirectories can use the same paths as
    pages in the root, but also has the disadvantage that the site has to be
    developed in the root folder (htdocs) rather than a subdirectory
    (htdocs/myproject).

    And some sites use relative paths ('images/logos/header.gif' or
    '../images/logos/header.gif' if the page is in a subdirectory of the
    root) which has the advantage that the site can be put in any directory
    and the paths will work, but the disadvantage that calling functions
    that create HTML or including chunks of HTML can be a problem because
    the paths will need to change depending on the directory of the page
    using the HTML.

    Other sites seem to use a combination -- linking relatively to some
    files but absolutely to others.

    I'm never really sure which route to take. Are there reasons for
    choosing absolute or relative paths that I'm not aware of?

    Peter Smith, Oct 8, 2007

  2. Peter Smith

    Jim Moe Guest

    On 10/08/07 02:10 am, Peter Smith wrote:

    > I've noticed that some websites use absolute paths when linking to local
    > files, e.g. '/', '/style.css, '/images/logos/header.gif' etc., which has
    > the advantage that pages in subdirectories can use the same paths as
    > pages in the root, but also has the disadvantage that the site has to be
    > developed in the root folder (htdocs) rather than a subdirectory
    > (htdocs/myproject).

    I have found using the "absolute" method the easiest to maintain. It
    makes it simple to have a local copy of the site for development then
    upload the changes without having to modify the paths.
    Putting multiple site in the same root is less than optimal for
    management. Give each site its own root.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, Oct 8, 2007

  3. Peter Smith

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 08 Oct 2007 09:10:02 GMT
    Peter Smith scribed:

    > I've noticed that some websites use absolute paths when linking to local
    > files, e.g. '/', '/style.css, '/images/logos/header.gif' etc., which has
    > the advantage that pages in subdirectories can use the same paths as
    > pages in the root, but also has the disadvantage that the site has to be
    > developed in the root folder (htdocs) rather than a subdirectory
    > (htdocs/myproject).
    >
    > And some sites use relative paths ('images/logos/header.gif' or
    > '../images/logos/header.gif' if the page is in a subdirectory of the
    > root) which has the advantage that the site can be put in any directory
    > and the paths will work, but the disadvantage that calling functions
    > that create HTML or including chunks of HTML can be a problem because
    > the paths will need to change depending on the directory of the page
    > using the HTML.
    >
    > Other sites seem to use a combination -- linking relatively to some
    > files but absolutely to others.
    >
    > I'm never really sure which route to take. Are there reasons for
    > choosing absolute or relative paths that I'm not aware of?

    If you're worried about it, why not use absolute urls?

    (http://www.example.com/thisdir/thatdir/what.gif)

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Oct 9, 2007