    by default set each and every control to absolute positioning.
    but i want to work in vs 2008 ...is there any permanent solution to
    this prob.??????

    rahul gupta, Aug 20, 2010

  2. rahul gupta

    Brian Cryer Guest

    On 20/08/2010 07:36, rahul gupta wrote:
    > hey friends i was using vs 2008 for windows app earlier.
    > but when i moved to asp.net web site page development.
    > i was unable to adjust my controls.
    > vs 2008 by defalut takes conrol in flow layout.
    > this situation is f***** man.
    > the only solution i came to know after hours of googling is that we
    > have to individually set each postion type to absolute position.
    > this is not a permanent solution
    > so i have to shift to vs 2005 where we have layout position ang we can
    > by default set each and every control to absolute positioning.
    > but i want to work in vs 2008 ...is there any permanent solution to
    > this prob.??????

    Yes, there is a simple solution but there is also a better solution.

    1. The simple solution

    Grid layout is still there (although I've never touched it).
    Tools > Options > HTML Designer > CSS Styling > Check the option "Change
    positioning to absolute for controls added using Toolbox, paste or drag
    and drop".

    2. The better solution

    But the better (but in your case also more painful) solution is to learn
    to use flow layout.

    Fixed positioning of control was always a bad idea and was given as an
    option solely to help desktop developers feel at home on the web. The
    reason its a bad idea is that you have no idea what sized browser window
    your visitors will be using, and it makes your site look very
    unprofessional if half your content is hidden off the to the right of
    the window (or gets cropped when printed). Fortunatly Microsoft realised
    their mistake and depreciatred it in VS 2008.

    That said, I do acknowledge that if you've designed your site using grid
    layout then to move to flow layout is a major pain.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Jan 21, 2011

  3. rahul gupta

    Brian Cryer Guest

    On 21/01/2011 09:24, Brian Cryer wrote:
    > On 20/08/2010 07:36, rahul gupta wrote:
    >> hey friends i was using vs 2008 for windows app earlier.
    >> but when i moved to asp.net web site page development.
    >> i was unable to adjust my controls.
    >> vs 2008 by defalut takes conrol in flow layout.
    >> this situation is f***** man.
    >> the only solution i came to know after hours of googling is that we
    >> have to individually set each postion type to absolute position.
    >> this is not a permanent solution
    >> so i have to shift to vs 2005 where we have layout position ang we can
    >> by default set each and every control to absolute positioning.
    >> but i want to work in vs 2008 ...is there any permanent solution to
    >> this prob.??????

    > Yes, there is a simple solution but there is also a better solution.
    >
    > 1. The simple solution
    >
    > Grid layout is still there (although I've never touched it).
    > Tools > Options > HTML Designer > CSS Styling > Check the option "Change
    > positioning to absolute for controls added using Toolbox, paste or drag
    > and drop".
    >
    > 2. The better solution
    >
    > But the better (but in your case also more painful) solution is to learn
    > to use flow layout.
    >
    > Fixed positioning of control was always a bad idea and was given as an
    > option solely to help desktop developers feel at home on the web. The
    > reason its a bad idea is that you have no idea what sized browser window
    > your visitors will be using, and it makes your site look very
    > unprofessional if half your content is hidden off the to the right of
    > the window (or gets cropped when printed). Fortunatly Microsoft realised
    > their mistake and depreciatred it in VS 2008.
    >
    > That said, I do acknowledge that if you've designed your site using grid
    > layout then to move to flow layout is a major pain.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    Sorry, am trially a different newsreader and hadn't appreciated that the
    post I was responding to was so old.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian