Absolute vs Relative References

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Robert, Feb 23, 2005.

  1. Robert

    Robert Guest

    I have some basic and advance questions about link references. My
    internet searches have discovered the elementary portion about the
    link tag, yet my search results did not expound on areas needed for my
    objective.

    My personal project aims at creating a document template and
    navigation approach for my computing notes. These html documents are
    for personal usage and will reside on an external hard drive or my
    hard drive. I will use these documents to help me remember key
    computing idiosyncrasies. The CSS style sheet allows me to have a
    consistent format and allow me to update formatting for all documents
    at once. The HTML overlay will allow me to update an external xml file
    with the menu structure and file locations; instead of using frame or
    iframes. The documents should be primarily viewable on Firefox; and
    not have any platform specific needs. Thus server side processing
    like PHP is not desirable. All processing should be client based.

    Each topic has a sub-folder for individual html documents; the folder
    structure is a derivative of my current organization scheme for Word
    and PDF documents. The HTML overlay allows each document to request
    the menu structure with link references. Currently, I developing the
    html overlay, menu structure, and determining the relative file
    linking approaches (if any).

    Root
    menuoverlay.xml
    [Internet Troubleshooting]
    HTML:
    startInternetTrouble.html
    /* The html overlay combines menuoverlay.xml
    with the above file*/
    [css]
    [images]
    [javascript]
    [Network Troublshooting]
    [html]
    startNetworkTrouble.html
    /* The html overlay combines menuoverlay.xml
    with the above file*/
    [css]
    [images]
    [javascript]

    Now, you have the background, so let me move to my specific curiosity
    about linking files. First, let me know if you have any suggestions
    for advance linking FAQ. A good reference would discuss linking files
    on the hard drive with special characters in the files or folders
    name.

    file:///d:/Troubleshooting
    Tips/Internet/html/startInternetTrouble.html

    scheme://host.domain/path/ filename

    where scheme is one of

    file - file
    ftp - ftp site
    http - web site

    The parent directory (the directory that contains the current
    directory) is ".."

    .../Internet/html/startInternetTrouble.html
    .../Networking/html/startNetworkTrouble.html

    Second, absolute linking includes the drive letter, which may be a
    problem for placing the files on the external drive.

    Third, relative file linking pose other challenges like the folder
    organization scheme. The directory is extensive with hundred of
    documents. Every time you connect the hard drive to another system;
    the drive letter could change. Placing the files on a web server
    remains less ideal since I use these documents when no Internet access
    is available.

    Remember my challenge involves both a folder organization scheme in
    conjunction with relative links on an external hard drive. In
    addition, the navigation approach includes a centrally updatable menu
    that any html document may use. The menu would allow me to navigate to
    any topic in my notes. The relative structure is not the same for a
    file in a different root folder. Let me know if you could add
    suggestions. I may be overlooking some details.
    Robert, Feb 23, 2005

  2. Robert

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Robert wrote:

    > These html documents are for personal usage and will reside on an
    > external hard drive or my hard drive. [...] Thus server side processing
    > like PHP is not desirable. All processing should be client based.

    Have you thought about including web server software on the hard drive
    itself?

    This would instantly give you server-side processing facilities and proper
    HTTP URLs.

    Something like Dwebpro?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Feb 23, 2005

  3. Robert

    Robert Guest

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:35:50 +0000, Toby Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >Robert wrote:
    >
    >> These html documents are for personal usage and will reside on an
    >> external hard drive or my hard drive. [...] Thus server side processing
    >> like PHP is not desirable. All processing should be client based.

    >Have you thought about including web server software on the hard drive
    >itself?
    >
    >This would instantly give you server-side processing facilities and proper
    >HTTP URLs.
    >
    >Something like Dwebpro?

    Server side processing is less ideal since I may viewing these
    documents on somebody elses computer, which could be Mac, Linux, or
    XP. These documents would reside on my flash USB drive or iPod. They
    would help troubleshoot other people's machine or remember key details
    about force perspective photography...blah, blah, blah. My useage is
    varied and diverse. I often have access to high-end workstations that
    have limited access to the internet for security reason; without
    administrator access to install software. But these same systems have
    browsering capabilities. Hence, the reason behind my project to
    convert my FAQs to HTML.

    btw
    If a utility exist for server processing that runs on a Mac, Linux,
    and XP without installing files, let me know.
    Robert, Feb 23, 2005