Absolutely Positioned controls and tables

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by jonefer, Aug 23, 2007.

  1. jonefer

    jonefer Guest

    is it possible to put a control in a table that has a different z-index so
    that it can move or grow independently of other controls in the table?

    using a z-index requires the control to be absolutely positioned, but then
    that defeats the purpose of why something should be in a table, so this is a
    dilemma.

    Ok, and now the reason I am asking for this is that I found a nice control
    that simulates the kind of multi-column combo box that can be created in MS
    Access.
    http://www.codeproject.com/Ajax/AJAXAutoSuggest.asp. I haven't yet found a
    non-3rd party control that gives me all this functionality.

    The dilemma is that the author uses a 'table' for the dropdown portion, so
    if placed inside a table, the cell will grow when the box drops down.

    I have manged to get the look I want by placing his control inside a div,
    however, if one of these divs happens to be underneath a gridview that is
    supposed to grow, I will be in the same situation.

    I imagine there must be a way to handle this without having to make ALL my
    controls absolutely positioned on a page. Any ideas?

    jonefer, Aug 23, 2007