absolutely weird refresh delay problem

Wolfgang Kaml

Hello All,

I have been researching newsgroups and knowledgebase all morning and not
found a solution that would solve the problem I have. I am having an ASP or
ASPX web page that implement a counter functionality and read/insert some
data in a MS Access database on that Windows 2003 server.
The weird part is, as long as the web page is very short in size, I can hit
the refresh button and Internet Explorer will reload the page and display
the content instantaneously. However, if the web page is just a little bit
bigger, it will take about 10 seconds before the content will be displayed.
Also, once the larger web page has been displayed, the small page will have
the delay problem as well. After I kill the w3wp.exe process, the short page
will refresh immediately, until the larger page has been opened at least
once. That just doesn't make any sense to me and have researched some
knowledge base articles and not found anything, that would solve the issue.
Adding 'DisableLazyContentPropagation' to the registry did not resolve the
problem.

Here is the CounterPage.aspx website's contents (just for testing purpose):
Inherits="Counter.CounterPage"%>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<title>Counter Test Page</title>
name="vs_targetSchema">
</HEAD>
alink="#FFFFFF">
<form id="CounterForm" method="post" runat="server">
<center>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A>
</center>
<P><FONT face="Verdana" size="2">That counter is:
<asp:label id="LblCounter"
runat="server">62</asp:label></FONT></P>
</form>
</HTML>
------------------

Here is the absolutely weird part: If I delete all the <A HREF=....> lines
but 2 or 3, the web site will load right aways.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Wolfgang

MSFT

Hello Wolfgang,

Thank you for using MSDN Newsgroup. I am Luke and I am review this issue
currently. As I understand, you currently working with IIS 6.0. If a ASPX
or ASP file is small, it will work correctly; If it is a little bigger, the
response will delay about 10 seconds.

What about a HTML file? If it also work incorrectly, the problem should be
with your IIS. You may create a new virtual folder and copy the file in it
to test. You may check if you have changed any default configaration on the
IIS, for example, adding some ISAPI fileter or extension.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Wolfgang Kaml

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your ideas. I have tried all of that before, except checking
the ISAPI filters. Now I have removed the only one ISAPI filter (I think it
said asp net 1.1.4322 something) and all I get is a big fat "Service
Unavailable" message, no error, no nothing, just "Service Unavailable" in
big fat letters.

Can you please tell me how to get the filter back? What file and how to set
the correct priority?

I have tried a simple HTML and that is fine. No matter what size. And yes,
you are right. As long as the aspx file is very small, I get the refresh in
a split of a second. The database is queried, a new entry made, etc. I can
hit the refresh button as often as I want and the new values will show
immediately. As soon as I add a few very simple html lines, it delays for
about 10 seconds, no error message, no nothing. Just sitting there, thinking
for a while, and then doing the same thing. I am absolutely puzzeled. And
yes, different directory, same result.

Thank you for your support,
Wolfgang

Roland Hall

:
: I have been researching newsgroups and knowledgebase all morning and not
: found a solution that would solve the problem I have. I am having an ASP
or
: ASPX web page that implement a counter functionality and read/insert some

ASP or ASPX?

This is classic ASP, not .NET. If your issue is related to .aspx, then
perhaps a .NET NG would get a quicker solution. However, if it does this
will all pages, as Luke eluded to, then the inetserver NG might be a better
place to pose this question?!

--
Roland

This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
or fitness for a particular purpose.
-Technet Knowledge Base-
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;kbhowto&sd=TECH&ln=EN-US&FR=0
-Technet Script Center-
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/scriptcenter/default.asp
-WSH 5.6 documentation download-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en
-MSDN Library-
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

Wolfgang Kaml

The problem occurs on both, ASP and ASPX, but not HTML. So, I don't think
that the IIS NG would be happy with that question, do you?

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Kaml

Hi Luke,

I just tried that and it leads to the same result. If I open the "ISAPI
Filters" tab of the "Web Sites Properties" at the web server, the Status of
the ASP.NET_1.1.4322.573 filter shows as "Unknown" and the priority as "*
Unknown *". I know that before removing that filter that the priority showed
"* Low *". I don't remember what the Status said before. Anyways, checking
the filters was an idea, I guess I should have known that this filter was
needed.

So now what, any ideas? Deinstall and Reinstall the entire Server. I hope
not!

Thanks,
Wolfgang

MSFT

Hi Wolfgang,

In IIS Manager, you can select "Application Pools", is the
"DefaultAppPool" running? Have you try a reboot on the server?

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Wolfgang Kaml

Yes, the "DefaultAppPool" is running and yes, I have tried a reboot before.
Well, the good news is, that the ASP.NET_1.1.4322.573 filter recovered
itself somehow overnight. Maybe I should have given it several minutes after
reboot to check on the status. Anyways, it shows as "Loaded" now, and the
priority is back to "Low" where it was before.

Now, the only thing is, that the ASP.NET ISAPI filter is set on the property
page for the "Web Sites" only. The "Default Web Site"'s ISAPI property page
now shows a new filter, that I haven't seen before: "fpexedll.dll". Is that
the way it should be?

Anyways, now that I am back to square one, I am still trying to figure out
that weird refresh problem that only happens on ASP and ASPX pages, not
HTML. And why would it make a difference when adding a few most simple HTML
lines to the ASPX page only? I don't get it.

Thanks for your help!
Wolfgang

MSFT

Hi wolfgang,

The filter setting is OK now. Regard the original problem, if you create a
new asp.net application, will the problem also occur?

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Wolfgang Kaml

Hi Luke,

I have just done that. Same thing. The freaky thing is, that my development
machine is Windows 2000 Professional. And if I copy the same web site from
the Win 2003 Server machine to the Windows 2000 Professional IIS, it will
work on Windows 2000 just like a charm.
I'm tempted to throw this Windows 2003 Server over board, since it causes
nothing but troubles... and Windows 2000 Professional with the .Net
Framework runs just great! I have no ideas what to do at this point? All the
parameters, values, etc. seem to be OK, all processes are running fine, no
errors, just this weired refresh problem.

And why in the world would a couple or three lines of HTML code matter at
all and make the amazing difference of 10 seconds delay ??????

Doesn't that seem very much like a glitch that's caused under certain
circumstances? How can I find that thing.... I just feel like I am wasting
time here and should go backwards to Windows 2000 Server.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Kaml

OK, so now I have been going through a complete uninstall of the Application
Server part of the Windows 2003 Server and removed all files and directories
from /Inetpub. The Windows 2003 Server is up-to-date on the latest hot fixes
as of the Windows Update Server and is an absolute clean install with
nothing else but only MS Access 2002.
The page refresh problem is the same: The inital page actually comes up
faster, but then every subsequent refresh takes right about 8 seconds before
anything happens.
What kinda caught my eye this time is, that the WebCounter Server control I
created opens the Access DB, and MS Access creates a new lock file MyDb.ldb.
That lock file does not disappear after the page has been built and the web
server control has finished retrieving the data from MS Access and inserted
a new record. The WebCounter control is calling Dispose on all instances
after the DB actions are finished. It is calling Dispose() on
OdbcConnection, OdbcDataAdapter, OdbcCommand, and DataSet. So I am wondering
why the connection to the Access database apparently is not being closed.
Could that be the problem? Is that an Odbc driver problem on Windows 2003
Server?

Any help and assistance on troubleshooting this issue is greatly
appreciated.

Wolfgang

MSFT

Hi Wolfgang,

I found another post from you about delay on ExecuteReader method. Is it a
related problem? If not, please check the <ProcessModal> section in
machine.config located at
systemroot\Microsoft.NET\Framework\versionNumber\CONFIG\Machine.config. I
attached a default setting for this option:

<processModel enable="true" timeout="Infinite" idleTimeout="Infinite"
shutdownTimeout="0:00:05" requestLimit="Infinite" requestQueueLimit="5000"
restartQueueLimit="10" memoryLimit="60" webGarden="false"
cpuMask="0xffffffff" userName="machine" password="AutoGenerate"
logLevel="Errors" clientConnectedCheck="0:00:05"
comAuthenticationLevel="Connect" comImpersonationLevel="Impersonate"
responseDeadlockInterval="00:03:00" maxWorkerThreads="40" maxIoThreads="20"
/>

Is there any difference?

Since there is no problems with HTML file, noly with ASPX, the problem
should be with configration of ASP.NET. Normally, its configaration
information is stored in machine.config and web.config. If we create a new
asp.net application and it still didn't work, the problem shouldn't be with
web.config.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Wolfgang Kaml

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your response. Yes, the problem mentioned in the other group
is related to the same issue. I was able to isolate the issue within the
ODBC data connection on MS Windows 2003 Server and MS Access 2002, but only
if a system DSN has been used to establish the connection between the two of
them. As far as I can tell, this is a clear problem now with ODBC and DSN on
Windows 2003 Server that will have to be addressed by Microsoft. Like I
said, the initial connection works great, but every subsequent call is being
8-9 seconds delayed, only on Windows 2003 Server, only with ODBC through DSN
with MS Access 2002. I could not confirm the same problem on Windows 2000
Server with the exact same setup.

Thanks for your help,
Wolfgang