absolutely weird refresh delay problem

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Wolfgang Kaml, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Hello All,

    I have been researching newsgroups and knowledgebase all morning and not
    found a solution that would solve the problem I have. I am having an ASP or
    ASPX web page that implement a counter functionality and read/insert some
    data in a MS Access database on that Windows 2003 server.
    The weird part is, as long as the web page is very short in size, I can hit
    the refresh button and Internet Explorer will reload the page and display
    the content instantaneously. However, if the web page is just a little bit
    bigger, it will take about 10 seconds before the content will be displayed.
    Also, once the larger web page has been displayed, the small page will have
    the delay problem as well. After I kill the w3wp.exe process, the short page
    will refresh immediately, until the larger page has been opened at least
    once. That just doesn't make any sense to me and have researched some
    knowledge base articles and not found anything, that would solve the issue.
    Adding 'DisableLazyContentPropagation' to the registry did not resolve the
    problem.

    Here is the CounterPage.aspx website's contents (just for testing purpose):
    Inherits="Counter.CounterPage"%>
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <title>Counter Test Page</title>
    name="vs_targetSchema">
    </HEAD>
    alink="#FFFFFF">
    <form id="CounterForm" method="post" runat="server">
    <center>
    <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
    <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
    <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
    <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
    <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
    <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
    <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
    <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
    <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
    <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
    <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
    <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
    <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
    <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
    <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A>
    </center>
    <P><FONT face="Verdana" size="2">That counter is:
    <asp:label id="LblCounter"
    runat="server">62</asp:label></FONT></P>
    </form>
    </HTML>
    ------------------

    Here is the absolutely weird part: If I delete all the <A HREF=....> lines
    but 2 or 3, the web site will load right aways.

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

    Thank you,
    Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Kaml, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Wolfgang Kaml

    MSFT Guest

    Hello Wolfgang,

    Thank you for using MSDN Newsgroup. I am Luke and I am review this issue
    currently. As I understand, you currently working with IIS 6.0. If a ASPX
    or ASP file is small, it will work correctly; If it is a little bigger, the
    response will delay about 10 seconds.

    What about a HTML file? If it also work incorrectly, the problem should be
    with your IIS. You may create a new virtual folder and copy the file in it
    to test. You may check if you have changed any default configaration on the
    IIS, for example, adding some ISAPI fileter or extension.

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    MSFT, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Hi Luke,

    Thank you for your ideas. I have tried all of that before, except checking
    the ISAPI filters. Now I have removed the only one ISAPI filter (I think it
    said asp net 1.1.4322 something) and all I get is a big fat "Service
    Unavailable" message, no error, no nothing, just "Service Unavailable" in
    big fat letters.

    Can you please tell me how to get the filter back? What file and how to set
    the correct priority?

    I have tried a simple HTML and that is fine. No matter what size. And yes,
    you are right. As long as the aspx file is very small, I get the refresh in
    a split of a second. The database is queried, a new entry made, etc. I can
    hit the refresh button as often as I want and the new values will show
    immediately. As soon as I add a few very simple html lines, it delays for
    about 10 seconds, no error message, no nothing. Just sitting there, thinking
    for a while, and then doing the same thing. I am absolutely puzzeled. And
    yes, different directory, same result.

    Thank you for your support,
    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Kaml, Jan 19, 2004
  4. Wolfgang Kaml

    Roland Hall Guest

    "Wolfgang Kaml" wrote:
    : I have been researching newsgroups and knowledgebase all morning and not
    : found a solution that would solve the problem I have. I am having an ASP
    or
    : ASPX web page that implement a counter functionality and read/insert some

    ASP or ASPX?

    This is classic ASP, not .NET. If your issue is related to .aspx, then
    perhaps a .NET NG would get a quicker solution. However, if it does this
    will all pages, as Luke eluded to, then the inetserver NG might be a better
    place to pose this question?!

    --
    Roland

    This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
    or fitness for a particular purpose.
    -Technet Knowledge Base-
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;kbhowto&sd=TECH&ln=EN-US&FR=0
    -Technet Script Center-
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/scriptcenter/default.asp
    -WSH 5.6 documentation download-
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en
    -MSDN Library-
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp
    Roland Hall, Jan 19, 2004
  5. The problem occurs on both, ASP and ASPX, but not HTML. So, I don't think
    that the IIS NG would be happy with that question, do you?

    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Kaml, Jan 19, 2004
  6. Wolfgang Kaml

    MSFT Guest

    MSFT, Jan 20, 2004
  7. Hi Luke,

    I just tried that and it leads to the same result. If I open the "ISAPI
    Filters" tab of the "Web Sites Properties" at the web server, the Status of
    the ASP.NET_1.1.4322.573 filter shows as "Unknown" and the priority as "*
    Unknown *". I know that before removing that filter that the priority showed
    "* Low *". I don't remember what the Status said before. Anyways, checking
    the filters was an idea, I guess I should have known that this filter was
    needed.

    So now what, any ideas? Deinstall and Reinstall the entire Server. I hope
    not!

    Thanks,
    Wolfgang

    "MSFT" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Wolfgang,
    >
    > Let's re-register the ASP.NET first (The ISAPI filter is a required one

    for

    Wolfgang Kaml, Jan 20, 2004
  8. Wolfgang Kaml

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Wolfgang,

    In IIS Manager, you can select "Application Pools", is the
    "DefaultAppPool" running? Have you try a reboot on the server?

    MSFT, Jan 20, 2004
  9. Yes, the "DefaultAppPool" is running and yes, I have tried a reboot before.
    Well, the good news is, that the ASP.NET_1.1.4322.573 filter recovered
    itself somehow overnight. Maybe I should have given it several minutes after
    reboot to check on the status. Anyways, it shows as "Loaded" now, and the
    priority is back to "Low" where it was before.

    Now, the only thing is, that the ASP.NET ISAPI filter is set on the property
    page for the "Web Sites" only. The "Default Web Site"'s ISAPI property page
    now shows a new filter, that I haven't seen before: "fpexedll.dll". Is that
    the way it should be?

    Anyways, now that I am back to square one, I am still trying to figure out
    that weird refresh problem that only happens on ASP and ASPX pages, not
    HTML. And why would it make a difference when adding a few most simple HTML
    lines to the ASPX page only? I don't get it.

    Thanks for your help!
    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Kaml, Jan 20, 2004
  10. Wolfgang Kaml

    MSFT Guest

    Hi wolfgang,

    The filter setting is OK now. Regard the original problem, if you create a
    new asp.net application, will the problem also occur?

    MSFT, Jan 21, 2004
  11. Hi Luke,

    I have just done that. Same thing. The freaky thing is, that my development
    machine is Windows 2000 Professional. And if I copy the same web site from
    the Win 2003 Server machine to the Windows 2000 Professional IIS, it will
    work on Windows 2000 just like a charm.
    I'm tempted to throw this Windows 2003 Server over board, since it causes
    nothing but troubles... and Windows 2000 Professional with the .Net
    Framework runs just great! I have no ideas what to do at this point? All the
    parameters, values, etc. seem to be OK, all processes are running fine, no
    errors, just this weired refresh problem.

    And why in the world would a couple or three lines of HTML code matter at
    all and make the amazing difference of 10 seconds delay ??????

    Doesn't that seem very much like a glitch that's caused under certain
    circumstances? How can I find that thing.... I just feel like I am wasting
    time here and should go backwards to Windows 2000 Server.

    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Kaml, Jan 21, 2004
  12. OK, so now I have been going through a complete uninstall of the Application
    Server part of the Windows 2003 Server and removed all files and directories
    from /Inetpub. The Windows 2003 Server is up-to-date on the latest hot fixes
    as of the Windows Update Server and is an absolute clean install with
    nothing else but only MS Access 2002.
    The page refresh problem is the same: The inital page actually comes up
    faster, but then every subsequent refresh takes right about 8 seconds before
    anything happens.
    What kinda caught my eye this time is, that the WebCounter Server control I
    created opens the Access DB, and MS Access creates a new lock file MyDb.ldb.
    That lock file does not disappear after the page has been built and the web
    server control has finished retrieving the data from MS Access and inserted
    a new record. The WebCounter control is calling Dispose on all instances
    after the DB actions are finished. It is calling Dispose() on
    OdbcConnection, OdbcDataAdapter, OdbcCommand, and DataSet. So I am wondering
    why the connection to the Access database apparently is not being closed.
    Could that be the problem? Is that an Odbc driver problem on Windows 2003
    Server?

    Any help and assistance on troubleshooting this issue is greatly
    appreciated.

    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Kaml, Jan 22, 2004
  13. Wolfgang Kaml

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Wolfgang,

    I found another post from you about delay on ExecuteReader method. Is it a
    related problem? If not, please check the <ProcessModal> section in
    machine.config located at
    systemroot\Microsoft.NET\Framework\versionNumber\CONFIG\Machine.config. I
    attached a default setting for this option:

    <processModel enable="true" timeout="Infinite" idleTimeout="Infinite"
    shutdownTimeout="0:00:05" requestLimit="Infinite" requestQueueLimit="5000"
    restartQueueLimit="10" memoryLimit="60" webGarden="false"
    cpuMask="0xffffffff" userName="machine" password="AutoGenerate"
    logLevel="Errors" clientConnectedCheck="0:00:05"
    comAuthenticationLevel="Connect" comImpersonationLevel="Impersonate"
    responseDeadlockInterval="00:03:00" maxWorkerThreads="40" maxIoThreads="20"
    />

    Is there any difference?

    Since there is no problems with HTML file, noly with ASPX, the problem
    should be with configration of ASP.NET. Normally, its configaration
    information is stored in machine.config and web.config. If we create a new
    asp.net application and it still didn't work, the problem shouldn't be with
    web.config.

    MSFT, Jan 23, 2004
  14. Hi Luke,

    Thank you for your response. Yes, the problem mentioned in the other group
    is related to the same issue. I was able to isolate the issue within the
    ODBC data connection on MS Windows 2003 Server and MS Access 2002, but only
    if a system DSN has been used to establish the connection between the two of
    them. As far as I can tell, this is a clear problem now with ODBC and DSN on
    Windows 2003 Server that will have to be addressed by Microsoft. Like I
    said, the initial connection works great, but every subsequent call is being
    8-9 seconds delayed, only on Windows 2003 Server, only with ODBC through DSN
    with MS Access 2002. I could not confirm the same problem on Windows 2000
    Server with the exact same setup.

    Thanks for your help,
    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Kaml, Jan 23, 2004