accelerate multiple identical applets?

Clemens H.

Hi!
I read that if a webpage contains several java applets, for each of
the applets an individual JVM is launched.

I have eight (or even more to come) identical applets in one page that
display some status information. This information is updated with the
help of tcp/ip sockets.

Especially the startup process is very slow. Is there any chance to
modify the java applets or the webpage to accelerate the startup, for
example by forcing all applets to run in one single JVM?

Clemens

Roedy Green

I read that if a webpage contains several java applets, for each of
the applets an individual JVM is launched.

That is definitely not correct. my CurrCon Applet could not work at
all if that were so.

Not only to they share a JVM, they share a single thread.

Roedy Green

Especially the startup process is very slow.

That delay is the singleton copy of the JVM loading. Sun has not been
very interested in fast JVM load. They are in the server business
where nobody cares if it takes 10 minutes for the system to come up,
if it stays up for months at a time.

I have posted a number of ideas on my projects page for fast program
load. see http://mindprod.com/project/projects.html however, they all
require modifying the JVM.

If you want fast program load, the best possible is Beta Jet, but that
is not compatible with Applets.
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jet.html

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
That delay is the singleton copy of the JVM loading. Sun has not been
very interested in fast JVM load. They are in the server business
where nobody cares if it takes 10 minutes for the system to come up,
if it stays up for months at a time.

IBM, Oracle, BEA, JBoss, Apache etc. are almost exclusively focused
on server side.

SUN do have some interest in client stuff. And new client stuff do get
added to each Java version.

They have also done a few things in the last versions to speedup
startup.

You can always argue that it is not enough. But I think that SUN
as one of the very few big companies in the Java world at least has
client on the list of priorities.

Arne