Accepting XML input

Bill H

Can anyone point me to some documentation and / or examples on how to
process XML input using perl on a web server and then generating XML
output?

The scenerio is that a website will be passing XML input to perl code
running on my server, my perl program will process that input and then
send back results in XML

Bill H www.ts1000.us

Paul Lalli

Bill said:
Can anyone point me to some documentation and / or examples on how to
process XML input using perl on a web server and then generating XML
output?

The scenerio is that a website will be passing XML input to perl code
running on my server, my perl program will process that input and then
send back results in XML

Check out the XML::Simple module on CPAN:
http://search.cpan.org/~grantm/XML-Simple-2.14/lib/XML/Simple.pm

Only two real functions you have to know: XMLin() and XMLout().
XMLin() takes your XML string and gives you a Perl data structure to
manipulate however you choose. XMLout() takes a Perl data structure,
and produces the corresponding XML string.

Paul Lalli

J. Gleixner

Bill said:
Can anyone point me to some documentation and / or examples on how to
process XML input using perl on a web server and then generating XML
output?

The scenerio is that a website will be passing XML input to perl code
running on my server, my perl program will process that input and then
send back results in XML

You don't mention how the XML will be passed to your "perl code" or how
your program will "send back" the results.. I'm assuming you have a CGI
interface.

Take a look at CPAN ( http://search.cpan.org ) or simply use a search
engine and find examples pertaining to your particular server.

Possible modules in CPAN that may help: CGI, XML::Simple, XML::Writer,
possibly SOAP::Lite.

Perl-XML FAQ: http://perl-xml.source-forge.net/faq/

Tad McClellan

Bill H said:
Can anyone point me to some documentation and / or examples on how to
process XML input using perl on a web server and then generating XML
output?

http://search.cpan.org/search?q=XML

See also:

http://lists.perl.org/showlist.cgi?name=perl-xml

The scenerio is that a website will be passing XML input to perl code
running on my server, my perl program will process that input and then
send back results in XML

Sounds like a Web Service. There are CPAN modules to help with that too.