Access advantage/liability

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Larry Rekow, Aug 24, 2004.

  1. Larry Rekow

    Larry Rekow Guest

    Have been using Frontpage and Access and ASP to create web pages for
    clients to see reports online. These reports are automatically
    generated daily by a Unix box, then ftp'd automatically to a windows
    server as a text file, eg. report.txt

    I've used Access to create tables by linking (not importing) to these
    text files, and creating web pages so clients can view the results of
    these reports. This is all only for viewing, no changes are made to
    these tables, as they are only linked text files.

    Now trying to learn and do the same thing with ASP.NET (using Visual
    Studio.Net 2003), which, while it will connect to an Access db, the
    query builder, etc. doesn't work very well with it. (can't retrieve
    the schema for the linked tables)

    So my question: is there another db that will allow me to link to
    external txt files as tables? Or should I continue with ASP.NET and
    just learn to code it all without help from the query builder or the
    data adapter wizard?

    Thanks,

    Larry Rekow
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."