Access advantage/liability

Larry Rekow

Have been using Frontpage and Access and ASP to create web pages for
clients to see reports online. These reports are automatically
generated daily by a Unix box, then ftp'd automatically to a windows
server as a text file, eg. report.txt

I've used Access to create tables by linking (not importing) to these
text files, and creating web pages so clients can view the results of
these reports. This is all only for viewing, no changes are made to
these tables, as they are only linked text files.

Now trying to learn and do the same thing with ASP.NET (using Visual
Studio.Net 2003), which, while it will connect to an Access db, the
query builder, etc. doesn't work very well with it. (can't retrieve
the schema for the linked tables)

So my question: is there another db that will allow me to link to
external txt files as tables? Or should I continue with ASP.NET and
just learn to code it all without help from the query builder or the
data adapter wizard?

Thanks,

Larry Rekow
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."