access control in distributed system

Johan

Here´s the problem:
A webclient is going to connect to a server and do some tasks. My job
is to design the server interface which the client is going to use,
and the client itself. Only authorized clients are allowd to use the
server, therefore some kind of accesscontroll must be implemented. The
allowd users of the system are stored in a DB. The transportation
protocol between the client and server can be any of these
soap/rpc-xml/Rmi/local calls within the same VM.

I think I know how to implement the client, but im not sure how to
provide accesscontrol. Can anyone give me a hint of how to do it?