Access Database and Web Server on diffrent machines

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Joe Harrison, May 24, 2004.

  1. Joe Harrison

    Joe Harrison Guest

    Hello.

    I am having problems connecting ASP.NET to an Access Database. The
    Access Database is on one computer (ALPHA) and the web server is on
    another computer (BETA). I realize that the reason is because the
    ASPNET user account on BETA does not have permission to the Access
    database on ALPHA.

    After doing some searching, it seems that the answer lies in this
    article "Accessing SQL Server Using a Mapped Windows Domain User"
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...singsqlserverusingmappedwindowsdomainuser.asp
    Other than the fact that it is an Access database, it seems to be what
    I need to do. From what I understand, this is what I need to do:
    Create a User on the domain controller (ALPHA) and make the ASPNET app
    on BETA run as this new user. For that I need to assign the new user
    permissions to run ASP.NET apps, and this is where I get confused. I
    read this article:"ASP.NET Required Access Control Lists (ACLs)" but I
    don't know what to do.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...cpconASPNETRequiredAccessControlListsACLs.asp

    My question is, am I going about this is the right way? Is there an
    easier way to get around this without compromising security?

    Thanks,
    Joe
    Joe Harrison, May 24, 2004

  2. The OLE DB Jet Provider connects (like any OLD DB provider) with a userid and password. Why can't you just put the right user account information in the connection string? That's what you would do with SQL Server, Oracle, or anything else. They run under their own processes, essentialy oblivious to whatever account ASP.NET process is running under. If you can login locally to Access on ALPHA, you should be able to connect with the same credentials from BETA - just out them in the connection string.

    If you have serious security requirements, address those with proper authentication, lock down source code, use SSL, encryption, etc, etc, etc.
    =?Utf-8?B?UmljaA==?=, May 24, 2004