Access database maintenance

VB Programmer

For those that use Microsoft Access as their website's database...

Do you do maintenance on it on a regular basis, such as "Compact and
Repair"?

Do I have to worry about it becoming to big or corrupted?

It's a shopping cart db.

Thanks!

john smith

VB said:
For those that use Microsoft Access as their website's database...

Do you do maintenance on it on a regular basis, such as "Compact and
Repair"?

Do I have to worry about it becoming to big or corrupted?

It's a shopping cart db.

Thanks!
I don't typically use Access (I dislike and avoid Jet), but I would
definitely make a backup of it before doing the compact and repair
thing. I've seen it break things MANY times before (changing security
settings and things like that). If you have a good amount of data and
that you want some good performance, security and not have all these
issues, you could look into using another DB (like SQL Server Express
which is free).

Guest

With SQLExpress (SQL Server 2005) being free for the taking, I'd be hard
pressed to come up with a valid reason for even using MS Access on a
webserver anymore.
Conversion is easy.

Peter

VB Programmer

Thanks Peter. Going forward I WILL use SQLExpress. I was mostly concerned
with past 1.1 webapps I've created... :)