    difference in the 2 pages is that page 2 creates a text file writes data to
    it then FTP's it to the server. What could be causing my 'Access Denied'
    error message?
    =?Utf-8?B?aWdvdHlvdXJkb3RuZXQ=?=, Sep 28, 2006

  2. Hello igotyourdotnet,

    From your description, you got the "access denied" error when running one
    ASP.NET page which upload file to a FTP site. As you mentioned that
    another page upload file to a database works correct and the two pages both
    use the "c:\temp" directory, would you provide some detailed information on
    how does the two pages use the c:\temp directory? For example,

    **whether the two pages will first generate some file from other source and
    put them in the c:\temp dir and then upload it to the target(database or
    FTP)

    ** whether it is possible that the two page will access the same file?

    ** as you said that the problem page will first create a file and write
    data into it, is this created file also used by any other application or
    page?

    You can also provide the detailed host environment of your ASP.NET
    application(like server and IIS version ....)

    Generally,for "Access Denied" error, possible causes are security
    permission and file handle locking. I would suggest you try
    troubleshooting the issue step by step. You can first break the code (such
    as the creating file stage and the upload to FTP stage) to see in which
    stage does the "Access Denied" error occur.

    Also, if you have the VS IDE installed on the server that running the
    pages, you can manually attach to the ASP.NET worker process and debug
    through the page code to see at which point does the exception get thrown.

    In addition, for such file access problem, the following tools are useful
    for detecting NTFS file permission error and file handle lock:

    #Filemon for Windows(for detect file access failure)
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html

    #Process Explorer(for check file handle ownership)
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

    Please feel free to let me know if you have any new finding or questions.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.