Access Denied Machine.Config

Guest

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Access is denied: 'courses'

Source Error:

Line 197: <add assembly="System.Drawing, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/
Line 198: <add assembly="System.EnterpriseServices, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/
Line 199: <add assembly="*"/
Line 200: </assemblies
Line 201

Not sure why this is happening
This error is happening in one application but not in all applications. I have verified security settings are the same

Any ideas?

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

This is a problem that sometimes happens when you update a running site with
a lot of pages at once and someone hits one of the pages, forcing it to
compile.

Chances are, it you fully stop IIS and restart it again, it will go away.
Try:

net stop iisadmin /y
iisreset

Ken