    websites now work! What am I missing? Why does setying connection pool
    'Identity' set as 'Network Service' cause an 'Access Denied' message?

    Thanks for your help!

    mangia, Sep 23, 2004

  2. mangia

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    Well, it seems that Local Service has access to something that Network
    Service does not.

    What exactly are you getting an Access Denied on? What is the exact error
    message?

    Cheers
    Ken

    Ken Schaefer, Sep 23, 2004

  3. mangia

    mangia Guest

    I have a Windows 2003 Sever that I have had running fine several .NET
    websites for over a year now.

    Two weeks ago I decided to change my anonymous FTP site access from
    'granted' and denied' IP addresses to 'not anonymous’ and require username
    password access. I created an ‘FTPGuest’ user account and gave it the file
    permissions I
    wanted. Tested the FTP site access and it works fine from within the LAN
    and/or from outside the WAN.

    However, now when I attempt to access my website I receive an IE webpage
    that ONLY SAYS “Access is denied.â€, and nothing else. I see no error or
    information in the Event logs. I spent most of the afternoon playing with
    Permissions, User Accounts and Directory Security settings, but nothing has
    helped.

    Chris

    mangia, Sep 23, 2004
  4. mangia

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    If you are seeing nothing other than "Access is denied", then I don't think
    you are seeing an error direct from IIS - do you have a proxy server in the
    way that might be "interpreting" a message returned from IIS?

    What do you see in the IIS Logfiles for the requests in question? Eg what is
    the HTTP status and substatus?

    Cheers
    Ken

    Ken Schaefer, Sep 27, 2004