Access denied on 'c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\2135a508\8

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Owe Armandt, Dec 7, 2003.

  1. Owe Armandt

    Owe Armandt Guest

    All of a sudden my web started to retirn this in IE 6--->

    First a bit earlier I had access problems with IIS wanting to access
    c:\winnt\temp - I changed the access rights and it worked again for a short
    while

    Then itno gives me and whatever I try it keeps saying this
    Server Error in '/' Application.
    ----

    Compilation Error
    to service this request. Please review the following specific error details
    and modify your source code appropriately.

    Compiler Error Message: CS0016: Could not write to output file
    'c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\root\2135a508\8d69a834\hkytxhe8.dll' -- 'Access is denied. '

    How come, I have tried to set access rights to that directory, even Full
    Control for Everyone just to see without any success.

    Owe
    Owe Armandt, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Owe Armandt

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Owe,

    You can take a look at following KB article to see if there are still som
    issues on security in your system:

    Permission necessary for the ASPNET (aspnet_up.exe) to run ASP.NET Web
    Applications
    Q317012 INFO: Process and Request Identity in ASP.NET
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q317012

    NTFS permissions necessary for IIS 5.0 to work properly.
    Q271071 Minimum NTFS Permissions Required for IIS 5.0 to Work
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q271071

    If these didn't help, I suggest you can use some utilities to trace the
    resource access. For exmaple, Regmon and Filemon. These utilities will
    record the access to File and regsity entries. Form the log we may get to
    know the item which caused the "access denied" error. For more information
    about these tools, you may browse to:

    www.systeminternals.com

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    MSFT, Dec 8, 2003

  3. IIS 6 and 5 have deferent model for security
    IIS 5 or 6 in compatible mode you will need to ASP.NET user or if u changed
    the configuration files (machine.config) ie grant privleges in the document
    refered to by MSFT to the user in the ProcessModel section

    as for IIS6 you will need to check what pool your application runs in (IIS
    6) and then check its identity (default is NETWORK service user) again this
    user needs the privileges refered to by the DOC below

    Hnidk

    "Owe Armandt" <> wrote in message
    > All of a sudden my web started to retirn this in IE 6--->
    >
    > First a bit earlier I had access problems with IIS wanting to access
    > c:\winnt\temp - I changed the access rights and it worked again for a

    short
    > while
    >
    > Then itno gives me and whatever I try it keeps saying this
    > Server Error in '/' Application.

    > ----
    >
    > Compilation Error

    required

    Khaled M. Hnidk, Dec 8, 2003
  4. Owe Armandt

    Owe Armandt Guest

    All theese settings are already in my system and Filemon & Regmon is not
    reporting any failures in accessing any file or registry entry
    Hope you have any more suggestions.

    Owe

    Owe Armandt, Dec 8, 2003
  5. Owe Armandt

    Owe Armandt Guest

    What DOC are you referring to?

    Owe

    Owe Armandt, Dec 8, 2003
  6. Owe Armandt

    Owe Armandt Guest

    Also I noticed, it's only .NET that fails - if I have oldfashoined .asp
    files they are OK, .aspx/.asmx are failing

    Owe

    Owe Armandt, Dec 8, 2003
  7. Owe Armandt

    MSFT Guest

    MSFT, Dec 9, 2003
  8. Owe Armandt

    Owe Armandt Guest

    The Access denied problem is gone, now I just have the other problem left.

    Cannot create web from workstation (Win XP with VS .NET 2003) using FP
    extensions and if I use file share I get

    "the web was created successfully, but an error occured when trying to
    configure the application root for this web. Web projects may not operate
    correctly without an application root. A possible cause of this error is
    insufficient rights to perform this operation. You can manually configure
    the application root using the Internet Services Manager."

    I have seen a lot of articles on this and have tried to live up to the
    suggestions but without avail I'm afraid.

    I do have Windows 2003 Server and client Win XP Pro. The XP has IIS and FP
    extension client, the server has FP extensions.

    If I rightclick Default Website and click All tasks I see two "Check server
    extensions" one saying "Check server extensions" and one "Check server
    extensions 2002" - is that OK?? The server was upgraded from Win 2000
    Server to 2003 a while ago.

    Owe

    Owe Armandt, Dec 9, 2003
  9. Owe Armandt

    Owe Armandt Guest

    I sort of moved this question into the other thread I have where you have
    responded on another problem.

    Let's move to the other thread

    Response was:

    Owe Armandt, Dec 9, 2003
  10. Owe Armandt

    Owe Armandt Guest

    Sorry, I have moved around between the two threads - it was not my meaning,
    mistake.

    It seems what I need to be able to use FP extensions to create web is the
    complete set of access rights on the file frontpg.lck (or the parent
    directory)
    I just added everyone full control and now it works, but I'm sure it is not
    meant to be everyone but some other group/account that I'm missing.

    Owe

    Owe Armandt, Dec 9, 2003
  11. Owe Armandt

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Owe,

    I saw three replies from you at same time. Is the problem fixed after you
    set permission on frontpg.lck?

    MSFT, Dec 10, 2003
  12. Owe Armandt

    Owe Armandt Guest

    I have set permission on frontpg.lck to everyone and it works, next question
    is - who needs (or what group) access rights to that file (or wwwroot I
    guess), I mean allowing everyone is not reaaly what one would want. It looks
    like one needed user/group is not set to have access as needed to wwwroot
    when you install.

    Owe

    Owe Armandt, Dec 10, 2003
  13. Owe Armandt

    MSFT Guest

    HI Owe,

    I think you only need to grant your current logon account with the
    permission. When VS.NET communicate with the web server, it will use your
    current logon user's permission. For other permission required for an
    ASP.NET application, you can refer to:

    MSFT, Dec 11, 2003
  14. Owe Armandt

    Owe Armandt Guest

    That cannot be the way to do it properly, if I have a group of developers -
    I would have to go to the server once for each user and add that user to the
    access list.
    Once you set the Web Permissions and then adding a group VS Developers (that
    gets created automatically when you install VS .NET 2003) webpermissions you
    just add the user to the proper group once they appear in the development
    department - right?

    The following list has access to the wwwroot (and all the way down through
    all webs etc.)

    Administrators + SYSTEM Fullcontrol
    ASPNET Read&Execute
    IIS_WPG Read&Execute
    IUSR_<computername> Read&Execute
    VS Developers FullControl
    WebDev (my own group) FullControl

    and a few others

    all the ones on your list in the below link is in there and I am part of
    both VS Developers and WebDev

    and still it wont work unless I set Everyone fullcontrol on frontpg.lck

    So it is not enough that I have full control over that file (through my
    membership in VS Developers) - it's something missing

    Owe

    Owe Armandt, Dec 11, 2003
  15. Owe Armandt

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Owe,

    If you remporarily rename frontpg.lck, let the process skip this file, will
    the project can be created by "VS DEveloper"?

    MSFT, Dec 12, 2003