Access Denied When Submitting File Upload

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by mattrapoport@gmail.com, Mar 17, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have a form with an input type='file' element. I click on the Browse
    button of my file upload element, select a file, and hit open. The
    file name appears in the textbox portion of the file upload element (as
    expected). When I submit this form everything works perfectly.

    On the same form I have a hyperlink that simulates clicking on the
    Browse button of the file upload element. It does this by using the
    file upload element's name and the click() method. I click on the
    hyperlink and the file dialog box opens as if I had clicked the Browse
    button. I select a file and hit open. The file name appears in the
    textbox portion of the file upload element - just like it should. BUT
    ... when I try to submit this form I get a javascript error that says
    "Access is Denied". The error is not on the next page, it's on this
    page - that is, the form never actually gets submitted and processed.
    There can be no doubt that this is a client-side error.

    I've seen a lot of posts about this from a couple years ago but no
    solutions. Does anyone have any ideas? It's really important that I
    can launch the file open dialog box from a hyperlink.

    Thanks,

    Matt

    , Mar 17, 2005

  2. kaeli Guest

    In article <>,
    enlightened us with...

    > I've seen a lot of posts about this from a couple years ago

    That's the thing. New security constraints have been put it place. I don't
    think you're allowed to do this at all in a normal environment.
    You could easily do it in an HTA, but I don't think that was what you were
    going for.

    You could probably also do it with a signed applet or ActiveX.

    ~kaeli~
    If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

    kaeli, Mar 17, 2005