access denied

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by P1, Sep 6, 2008.

  1. P1

    P1 Guest

    Hey guys,
    I'm totally out of my league here, I don't even know how I got stuck
    with this problem, it's obviously a webmaster issue and I'm just a lowly
    net admin.

    The error:

    Starts here
    9/5/2008 6:00:41 PM
    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'
    Permission denied
    /groupCalPDF.asp, line 19

    Line 19 starts with wshell.run in the script below:

    <%
    response.Expires = 0
    dim wshell, url, filename, memberid
    'on error resume next
    Response.Write("Starts here<br/>")

    %>
    <pre>
    <%=now()%>

    </pre>
    <%

    memberid = Request("memberid")
    url = Request("url")
    filename = "cal"& memberid &".pdf"

    set wshell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    wshell.run "%comspec% /c c:\htmltools\htmltools.exe -append 0 """& url
    &""" ""c:\PDFTemp\" & filename &""" >c:\htmltools\log.txt", 0, TRUE
    set wshell = nothing

    Response.write "Passed through<br/>"

    if err.number <> 0 then
    response.write "Error detected: " & err.number & ": " &
    err.Description & "<br/>"
    on error goto 0
    response.end
    end if
    on error goto 0

    Response.write "Run successfully<br/>"

    Response.Redirect("http://calpdf.domain1.com/PDFTemp/" & filename)
    %>
    <pre>
    <%=now()%>

    </pre>

    IIS and permissions:
    The website has Scripts and Executables permissions.
    The folder containing the asp script and htmltools.exe have full NTFS
    permissions for IUSR_ account.

    Some of the commands in the script I put in as part of suggestions found
    while researching this problem. If I uncomment the "on error resume
    next" line, the error changes to:

    Starts here
    9/5/2008 6:00:58 PM
    Passed through
    Error detected: 70: Permission denied

    I've been using ProcMon but I can't find any errors, other than a couple
    of BUFFER OVERFLOWs, which someone suggested can be ignored.

    This is a revisited problem that I thought was solved before but is now
    back with a vengeance. Before, procmon would report access denied
    errors to c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe but once I gave IUSR_ permissions
    to it, the problem was solved. Now I even removed those permissions but
    procmon is NOT reporting the same error as before.

    I'm lost, please help? :)

    Thanks,
    LP

    P1, Sep 6, 2008

  2. P1

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    IUSR account doesn't have access to cmd.exe by default (assuming you are
    using anonymous authentication). This is a security measure designed to
    prevent anonymous users being able (e.g. via faulty code) from being able to
    access a command prompt and run arbitrary commands on your server.

    Cheers
    Ken

    Ken Schaefer, Sep 6, 2008

  3. P1

    P1 Guest

    Ken Schaefer wrote:
> [...]
    >> permissions for IUSR_ account.
    >>
    >> Some of the commands in the script I put in as part of suggestions
    >> found while researching this problem. If I uncomment the "on error
    >> resume next" line, the error changes to:
    >>
    >> Starts here
    >> 9/5/2008 6:00:58 PM
    >> Passed through
    >> Error detected: 70: Permission denied
    >>
    >> I've been using ProcMon but I can't find any errors, other than a
    >> couple of BUFFER OVERFLOWs, which someone suggested can be ignored.
    >>
    >> This is a revisited problem that I thought was solved before but is
    >> now back with a vengeance. Before, procmon would report access denied
    >> errors to c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe but once I gave IUSR_
    >> permissions to it, the problem was solved. Now I even removed those
    >> permissions but procmon is NOT reporting the same error as before.

    Yes, I know. Last time I came across this problem I added the permission
    explicitly. Now that the problem is back, I removed it just for
    troubleshooting, to be able to see the deny error in procmon, but it
    doesn't show.

    P1, Sep 9, 2008