Access files on Network Drive from ASP.NET Client

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mike McIntyre [MVP], Mar 4, 2005.

  1. I am working on an issue where and ASP.NET web application on one computer
    (A) needs to access files on a network mapped drive (B).

    This application uses as DSN on (A) that maps a proprietory ODBC driver to
    data on a (B). The DSN directory path points to mapped network drive
    mounted on (A).

    When the ASP.NET application reaches the point where the ODBC drive is
    called to fill a DataSet it throws the following exeption:

    ERROR [S0000] [ComputerEase][ODBC Driver][ISAM]Unable to load CEODBC33.DLL
    ERROR [S0000] [ComputerEase][ODBC Driver][ISAM]Unable to load CEODBC33.DLL

    (no indication of access permission issue)

    If I put the data into a local folder on (A) and give aspnet_wp full
    permissions on the folder, the application works.

    (seems to indicate the problem when trying to use the network drive was a
    permission issue?)

    Is impersonation the way to allow the ASP.NET web application to access the
    network drive?

    Any other suggestions?

    Thank you,

    --
    Mike

    Mike McIntyre
    Visual Basic MVP
    www.getdotnetcode.com

    Mike McIntyre [MVP], Mar 4, 2005

  2. Network mapped drives (Z:\ and the like) are defined for the current user
    account only and as such, should be unknown (an unaccessible) to the the
    aspnet_wp account.

    You should try with an UNC (\\MachineName\....) pathway instead.

    S. L.

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Use the \\MachineName\ pathway in the DSN?

    Mike McIntyre [MVP], Mar 4, 2005
  4. Mike McIntyre [MVP]

    bruce barker Guest

    unless the asp.net account is a domain account it can not access UNC paths

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Mar 4, 2005
  5. Hum, good question, I don't remember if you have the right to use a UNC
    directly into a DSN. Have-you tried it?

    Another solution would be to use a DSN-less string connection or a File DSN.
    The following article clearly state that UNC can be used in a File DSN:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q165866/ . However, I don't know if your
    proprietary ODBC driver will support it.

    Don't forget about the fact that you must use a Domain Account instead of a
    System Account for accessing your UNC over the network (see the other post
    from Bruce Baker).

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Mar 4, 2005
  6. Mike McIntyre [MVP]

    Paul Clement Guest

    ¤
[...]

    I would also recommend using a DSN-less connection with the UNC path. Not sure what kind of database
    files you are working with so I can't offer any additional recommendations.

    In addition, you're facing a delegation issue if your files are on a remote resource. The delegation
    implementation will vary depending upon the type of web app authentication you are using.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...y/en-us/vsent7/html/vxconaspnetdelegation.asp

    Paul ~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

    Paul Clement, Mar 7, 2005