Access files on Network Drive from ASP.NET Client

Mike McIntyre [MVP]

I am working on an issue where and ASP.NET web application on one computer
(A) needs to access files on a network mapped drive (B).

This application uses as DSN on (A) that maps a proprietory ODBC driver to
data on a (B). The DSN directory path points to mapped network drive
mounted on (A).

When the ASP.NET application reaches the point where the ODBC drive is
called to fill a DataSet it throws the following exeption:

ERROR [S0000] [ComputerEase][ODBC Driver][ISAM]Unable to load CEODBC33.DLL
ERROR [S0000] [ComputerEase][ODBC Driver][ISAM]Unable to load CEODBC33.DLL

(no indication of access permission issue)

If I put the data into a local folder on (A) and give aspnet_wp full
permissions on the folder, the application works.

(seems to indicate the problem when trying to use the network drive was a
permission issue?)

Is impersonation the way to allow the ASP.NET web application to access the
network drive?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you,

--
Mike

Mike McIntyre
Visual Basic MVP
www.getdotnetcode.com

Sylvain Lafontaine

Network mapped drives (Z:\ and the like) are defined for the current user
account only and as such, should be unknown (an unaccessible) to the the
aspnet_wp account.

You should try with an UNC (\\MachineName\....) pathway instead.

S. L.

Mike McIntyre [MVP]

Use the \\MachineName\ pathway in the DSN?

Mike McIntyre said:
I am working on an issue where and ASP.NET web application on one computer
(A) needs to access files on a network mapped drive (B).

This application uses as DSN on (A) that maps a proprietory ODBC driver
to data on a (B). The DSN directory path points to mapped network drive
mounted on (A).

When the ASP.NET application reaches the point where the ODBC drive is
called to fill a DataSet it throws the following exeption:

ERROR [S0000] [ComputerEase][ODBC Driver][ISAM]Unable to load
CEODBC33.DLL ERROR [S0000] [ComputerEase][ODBC Driver][ISAM]Unable to
load CEODBC33.DLL

(no indication of access permission issue)

If I put the data into a local folder on (A) and give aspnet_wp full
permissions on the folder, the application works.

(seems to indicate the problem when trying to use the network drive was a
permission issue?)

Is impersonation the way to allow the ASP.NET web application to access
the network drive?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you,

--
Mike

Mike McIntyre
Visual Basic MVP
www.getdotnetcode.com

bruce barker

unless the asp.net account is a domain account it can not access UNC paths

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| Use the \\MachineName\ pathway in the DSN?
|
| "Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)>
| wrote in message | > Network mapped drives (Z:\ and the like) are defined for the current
user
| > account only and as such, should be unknown (an unaccessible) to the the
| > aspnet_wp account.
| >
| > You should try with an UNC (\\MachineName\....) pathway instead.
| >
| > S. L.

| >>(A) needs to access files on a network mapped drive (B).
| >>
| >> This application uses as DSN on (A) that maps a proprietory ODBC driver
| >> to data on a (B). The DSN directory path points to mapped network
drive
| >> mounted on (A).
| >>
| >> When the ASP.NET application reaches the point where the ODBC drive is
| >> called to fill a DataSet it throws the following exeption:
| >>
| >> ERROR [S0000] [ComputerEase][ODBC Driver][ISAM]Unable to load
| >> CEODBC33.DLL ERROR [S0000] [ComputerEase][ODBC Driver][ISAM]Unable to
| >> load CEODBC33.DLL
| >>
| >> (no indication of access permission issue)
| >>
| >> If I put the data into a local folder on (A) and give aspnet_wp full
| >> permissions on the folder, the application works.
| >>
| >> (seems to indicate the problem when trying to use the network drive was
| >> permission issue?)
| >>
| >> Is impersonation the way to allow the ASP.NET web application to access
| >> the network drive?
| >>
| >> Any other suggestions?
| >>
| >> Thank you,
| >>

| >> --
| >> Mike
| >>
| >> Mike McIntyre
| >> Visual Basic MVP
| >> www.getdotnetcode.com

Sylvain Lafontaine

Hum, good question, I don't remember if you have the right to use a UNC
directly into a DSN. Have-you tried it?

Another solution would be to use a DSN-less string connection or a File DSN.
The following article clearly state that UNC can be used in a File DSN:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q165866/ . However, I don't know if your
proprietary ODBC driver will support it.

Don't forget about the fact that you must use a Domain Account instead of a
System Account for accessing your UNC over the network (see the other post
from Bruce Baker).

S. L.

Mike McIntyre said:
[...]

Paul Clement

¤
[...]

I would also recommend using a DSN-less connection with the UNC path. Not sure what kind of database
files you are working with so I can't offer any additional recommendations.

In addition, you're facing a delegation issue if your files are on a remote resource. The delegation
implementation will vary depending upon the type of web app authentication you are using.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...y/en-us/vsent7/html/vxconaspnetdelegation.asp

Paul ~~~ (e-mail address removed)
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)