Access is denied (newbie .NET developer)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Shipo, Nov 2, 2004.

  1. Shipo

    Shipo Guest

    Hey gang, I am attempting to teach myself the VS.NET suite and am trying to
    create a VB/ASP.NET web service. I can successfully create said service on
    my development machine when using "http://localhost/WebServiceName",
    however, when I attempt to create the same service in a distributed mode by
    using "http://differentHost/WebServiceName" (both machines are WinXP SP2,
    IIS 5.1 & .NET Framework 1.1), I get the following error dialog when trying
    to write both "Global.xml" and "Service1.xml":

    Dialog Title: "Microsoft Development Environment"

    Dialog Text: "Access is denied"

    The target system does seem to have the webService mostly created, however,
    the "Global.asax" and "Service1.asmx" files are not the same on the two
    computers and on the "differentHost" computer there are two extra files,
    "Global.xml" and "Service1.xml".

    What am I doing wrong?

    TIA

    Shipo
    Shipo, Nov 2, 2004

  2. Shipo

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Shipo,

    A few things could have gone wrong. The easiest way to deploy your service
    to the second computer is to use the Publish feature found in visual studio
    on the File menu. This is used to create and set up the right files and
    configuration, as well as virtual directory settings on the other computer.

    When it comes to the files being written (global.xml and service1.xml), the
    files will need to exist, and have proper security permissions before the
    write will be allowed. Even if the files are empty, this is all you need
    to do.

    Regards

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation