Access is denied (newbie .NET developer)

Shipo

Hey gang, I am attempting to teach myself the VS.NET suite and am trying to
create a VB/ASP.NET web service. I can successfully create said service on
my development machine when using "http://localhost/WebServiceName",
however, when I attempt to create the same service in a distributed mode by
using "http://differentHost/WebServiceName" (both machines are WinXP SP2,
IIS 5.1 & .NET Framework 1.1), I get the following error dialog when trying
to write both "Global.xml" and "Service1.xml":

Dialog Title: "Microsoft Development Environment"

Dialog Text: "Access is denied"

The target system does seem to have the webService mostly created, however,
the "Global.asax" and "Service1.asmx" files are not the same on the two
computers and on the "differentHost" computer there are two extra files,
"Global.xml" and "Service1.xml".

What am I doing wrong?

TIA

Shipo

Dan Rogers

Hi Shipo,

A few things could have gone wrong. The easiest way to deploy your service
to the second computer is to use the Publish feature found in visual studio
on the File menu. This is used to create and set up the right files and
configuration, as well as virtual directory settings on the other computer.

When it comes to the files being written (global.xml and service1.xml), the
files will need to exist, and have proper security permissions before the
write will be allowed. Even if the files are empty, this is all you need
to do.

Regards

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation