Access is Denied when I try sending email at ASP.net on IIS6

Kent

Hi all,
I just migrated my website to the IIS 6.0. Everything is
the same and everything is running perfect except I got
this error message "access is denied" when i try sending
email from the aspx page.
The whole message is like this:
ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested
resource. Consider granting access rights to the resource
to the ASP.NET request identity. ASP.NET has a base
process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or
Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application
is not impersonating. If the application is impersonating
via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be
the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the
authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the
file in Explorer, choose "Properties" and select the
Security tab. Click "Add" to add the appropriate user or
group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes
for the desired access.

But i did put the right permissio on, still doesn't work.

Have you got this before? please advise

Kent

Imtiaz Hussain

The difference between IIS 5.0 and 6.0 is that in IIS6.0 the asp.net
applications are executed by w3wp.exe and by default its identity is
configured as NETWORK SERVICE. May be this account doesnt have enough
permissions to send email.

You can download a tool called Filemon from www.sysinternals.com and run it
to see which process is getting the access denied and what is its identity.
This will also tell you which file access failed.

Hope this Helps.
Imtiaz Hussain

Kent

Yeah, with this great tool's help, I fixed this problem.

So appreciate what the information you gave.

Kent