Access is Denied when I try sending email at ASP.net on IIS6

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Kent, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Kent

    Kent Guest

    Hi all,
    I just migrated my website to the IIS 6.0. Everything is
    the same and everything is running perfect except I got
    this error message "access is denied" when i try sending
    email from the aspx page.
    The whole message is like this:
    ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested
    resource. Consider granting access rights to the resource
    to the ASP.NET request identity. ASP.NET has a base
    process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or
    Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application
    is not impersonating. If the application is impersonating
    via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be
    the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the
    authenticated request user.

    To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the
    file in Explorer, choose "Properties" and select the
    Security tab. Click "Add" to add the appropriate user or
    group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes
    for the desired access.

    But i did put the right permissio on, still doesn't work.

    Have you got this before? please advise

    Kent

    Kent, Oct 27, 2003

  2. The difference between IIS 5.0 and 6.0 is that in IIS6.0 the asp.net
    applications are executed by w3wp.exe and by default its identity is
    configured as NETWORK SERVICE. May be this account doesnt have enough
    permissions to send email.

    You can download a tool called Filemon from www.sysinternals.com and run it
    to see which process is getting the access denied and what is its identity.
    This will also tell you which file access failed.

    Hope this Helps.
    Imtiaz Hussain

    Imtiaz Hussain, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Kent

    Kent Guest

    Yeah, with this great tool's help, I fixed this problem.

    So appreciate what the information you gave.

    Kent

    Kent, Oct 31, 2003