    community do?
    Thanks.
    , Dec 20, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Concerning the use of 'accesskey' and "standands".
    > I plan on assigning accesskey values based on what I found here.
    > http://www.clagnut.com/blog/193
    > Is this legit? Is this common practice? Comments? What does the
    > community do?

    It's pointless in most cases for a couple of reasons.

    1. It's only useful for a site where the typical user will use it
    extensively for repetitive navigational and/or interactive tasks, such
    as data entry, searching, or browsing on structured pages with anchors,
    whether such repetition is in connection with a one-time task (entry of
    a mailing list record by record, for example) or a frequently performed
    task (daily filling out of one's timesheet, for example). In all other
    cases, a user will have no reason to learn the access keys you've
    provided because (a) he will have finished what he was doing with your
    site before having finished learning them or (b) will forget them by the
    time he returns or (c) isn't expecting to return anyway.

    2. They collide with the shortcut keys defined by the operating system
    and by the browser. In particular, when a user doesn't know that a page
    has defined a particular access key that he normally uses for another
    function, he will be frustrated when use of that key doesn't give the
    expected result.
    Harlan Messinger, Dec 20, 2007

  3. Scripsit :

    > I plan on assigning accesskey values

    Don't. The expert consensus is that accesskey attributes are more or
    less useless, with some mild disagreement on whether they are
    occasionally useful or often worse than useless. I'm pretty sure that
    googling with
    accesskey accessibility
    will lead you to some discussions and explanations on this.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 23, 2007