Access Metadata from Office files

CJM

How easy is it to access the metadata from office files and PDF's?

That is, Author, Title, Keywords, Comments etc...

Context:
I want to be able to scan a directory and provide links with descriptions
(ie Comments field) for each file within.

I can use automation to open and read the office files, but I imagine this
would produce too big a load on the webserver...

Is there a simple and slick way of doing this?

Cheers

Chris

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

CJM said:
How easy is it to access the metadata from office files and PDF's?

That is, Author, Title, Keywords, Comments etc...

Context:
I want to be able to scan a directory and provide links with descriptions
(ie Comments field) for each file within.

I can use automation to open and read the office files, but I imagine this
would produce too big a load on the webserver...

Is there a simple and slick way of doing this?

see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224351

CJM

Thanks guys... both of those look good.

Not sure if wither will work on PDFs but I'm testing them out now...

Cheers

Chris

MSFT

Hi Chris,

We can't deal with PDF files in the same way. PDF have different format
from DOC file. Based on my knowledge, there are some third party COM
library which supports to retrieve related information from PDF files. You
may search following site for more information:

http://www.planetpdf.com/

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security