access ocean buoy readings from cell phone ...

wbsurfver

I bought a samsung cell phone that can access wml type mobile
websites. I was thinking of setting up a free web site that you can go
to with a regular computer and set up a profile with just email/
password/state or province/country. From there you input the buoy
numbers into any number of buoy profiles, and you get a wml url page
that can be accessed from any phone that supports wml to see the
current buoy readings. I would store the readings in a database and
only screen scrape the actual buoys every hour as needed on demand.
Say you could create a buoy profile for Ventura CA. Then from a cell
phone you can see the buoys from that area. I was wondering if there'd
be much of an interest in a site like that and if the wml type cell
phone technology will be around for awhile ... ?

I've not quite seen a site like what I've described, though I have
seen marine forcasts and some similar things.

I've done some websites in ruby on rails and have figured out a good
way to scrape the buoys sites for the data.

Mike G.

[...]

Maybe these guys can help...

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/dial.shtml

Mike G.