Access remote access database from ASP

W

william

Hi,

I have an ASP page needs to access a remote MS Access2000 database, I got error "The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file 'F:\Collect.mdb'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data. ".
The 'F:\' is a mapped drive from remote machine where the access database loactes. If I copy the database back to local box, no problem.

Could anyone tell me how to make it work?

Thanks.
william
(e-mail address removed)

J

Jeff Cochran

I have an ASP page needs to access a remote MS Access2000 database, I got error "The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file 'F:\Collect.mdb'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data. ".
The 'F:\' is a mapped drive from remote machine where the access database loactes. If I copy the database back to local box, no problem.

Could anyone tell me how to make it work?

Proper permissions would likely do it. keep in mind that an ASP page
isn't running under the same account you mapped the drive with. It's
normally the IUSR account that needs the right permissions, and that
account is a local account, not a domain one.

Jeff

W

william

Hi
I created IUSER_SERVERNAME on Domain with empty password, and grant this user full control permission on the folder where my access database locates on other machine, and I'm able to run my ASP to access the remote database, but when I try to run second time I got "Unspecified error" error( when the asp show up, it will go to remote database to get some data back and populate list box on the asp page, there is button on the page, on click event, it will query the database again)
I use a DSN to access database

Any idea

Thanks

willia

W

william

Hi
Can I use domain user id to access remote Access2000 database
I created IUSER_SERVERNAME on PDC with password, grant this user full permission on the remote database folder, and setup to use this account on IIS\Properties\Directory Security\Edit\Annonimous Access\Edit, and uncheck the check box(allow IIS to control password). I got "...-[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] '(unknown)' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides."

Any ideas

Thanks

william

W

william

Hi
From Event view, the error is "The server was unable to logon the Windows NT account 'IUSER_C2K-WHAM' due to the following error: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. The data is the error code.

thank

Ask a Question