access serial port in python

vipulagarwal.in

hi
i hav written a code in python to send an SMS from a nokia 3310
connected to my PC...
i wanted to receive a msg on my PC. In order to do so, the PC must know
when it has to read data frm the serial port ...thus an interrupt must
be generated when the serial port receives data frm the phone .....HOW
CAN I DO THIS IN PYTHON ??
can anyone help me with this INTERRUPT HANDLING thing in PYTHON ???
thanks

vipulagarwal.in

i can use the polling method to check for data on the serial port using
pyserial...but i need to use the interrupt driven method .....am workin
on a windows platform ....

vipulagarwal.in

i can use the polling method to check for data on the serial port using
pyserial...but i need to use the interrupt driven method .....am workin
on a windows platform ....

Grant Edwards

i can use the polling method to check for data on the serial port using
pyserial...but i need to use the interrupt driven method .....am workin
on a windows platform ....

I don't think there is any way to so interrupt driven I/O under
Windows. You can do asynchronous I/O under Windows using the
normal Win32 FileIO API.

Cameron Laird

hi
i hav written a code in python to send an SMS from a nokia 3310
connected to my PC...
i wanted to receive a msg on my PC. In order to do so, the PC must know
when it has to read data frm the serial port ...thus an interrupt must
be generated when the serial port receives data frm the phone .....HOW
CAN I DO THIS IN PYTHON ??
can anyone help me with this INTERRUPT HANDLING thing in PYTHON ???
thanks

Others have answered your direct question about serial handling.
Let me urge you to consider investigation of the gnokii and gammu
projects, which handle MANY other aspects of SMS handling that I
doubt you want to burden you. There turns out to be depressingly
more to SMS than you might imagine (although it's just possible
that you already have almost everything you need for the 3310).

When researching these two projects, note that gammu is already
aware of Python, but rather unstably so, and that gnokii's Windows
story has brightened immensely in the last month.