Access to App_Data Folder

Ian Semmel

I want to write files to the directory /App_Data/XML/ on my web hosting
server but get access denied.

What user am I supposed to give access rights to ? My Membership stuff
is all done via a custom Membership provider which all works OK.

Am I supposed to put something in webconfig ?

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Ian,

Check that ASPNET/Network service account has rights to write to this folder

btw, why do u want to write to this folder?

---
WBR,

IS> I want to write files to the directory /App_Data/XML/ on myweb
IS> hosting server but get access denied.
IS>
IS> What user am I supposed to give access rights to ? MyMembership
IS> stuff is all done via a custom Membership provider which all
IS> worksOK.
IS>
IS> Am I supposed to put something in webconfig ?

Ian Semmel

Well, I'm not too sure what the ASPNET/Network service account is. I
have a web host controlled by Plesk. I can log on to this and setup
things ok. I can use ftp to write to the folder ok and I can read from
it in my code.

I just can't write to it (or to any folder for that matter). I want to
save my MySql database as xml. It works ok on the local server.

As you might gather, all I know is how little I know.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Well, I'm not too sure what the ASPNET/Network service account is. I
have a web host controlled by Plesk. I can log on to this and setup
things ok. I can use ftp to write to the folder ok and I can read from
it in my code.

In which case, you need to contact your ISP and ask them to set up your
site's file permissions correctly... Your site needs write permissions on
the App_Data folder if it needs to update any of the data files in it...