Access to path denied

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Bryan, May 18, 2004.

  1. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    I have a question. I am running Windows 2003 Server with Framework
    1.1. I have an application that has XML config files within it that
    drive part of the application. I wrote another "admin" application
    that allows me to configure these XML files in the main applicaiton.
    Both of the sites are sitting on the same server under the same
    website but in different directories. I have give everying in the root
    web directore the MACHINENAME\ASPNET full access. When I try to
    access/change the xml file in the main application from the admin
    application I get the following error:

    Access to the path "D:\Web\MainApplication\MyConfig.xml" is denied.

    Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the
    path "D:\Web\MainApplication\MyConfig.xml" is denied.

    granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request
    identity. ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically
    {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if
    the application is not impersonating. If the application is
    impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be
    the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated
    request user.

    To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in
    Explorer, choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add"
    to add the appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account,
    and check the boxes for the desired access.

    Does anyone have anything that I can try?
    Bryan, May 18, 2004