Access to path **** denied.

George Hardy

hello all,

why would the following error occur, and how is it fixed? It seems like IIS
cant create a temp directory. I also added the ASPNET user to the
\Temporary ASP.NET Files\ directory with full rights, but it didn't seem to
work.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\root\82d26208\ca478f3a" is denied.

thanks in advance!!!
george hardy

George Hardy

my development machine (where this works) is XP,

when i copy the site to the machine where it doesn't work, it is a Win2003
Server.

george

WJ

George Hardy said:
my development machine (where this works) is XP,

when i copy the site to the machine where it doesn't work, it is a Win2003
Server.

1. "AspNet" and "Network Service" accounts should have write or full control
to this folder below:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files

2. When you deploy your app to Win2k3, donot copy files to the above folder,
instead, you deploy them to IIS Virtual folder/directory.

May be somebody modified your FS by chance ?

*** By default, when you first install .NetFW v1.1, the system should
already took care the above folder for you. You really donot have to touch
it.

John

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello George,

on XP ASP.NET runs under the ASPNET account - under W2K3 under NETWORK SERVICE
by default (ASPNET is still included). This is configured via the Application
Pool feature in IIS6.

There is also a group called IIS_WPG - give this group full control to the
temp directory - if that works you can lockdown more if you like.

George Hardy

ok thanks, i will give it a shot...i might re-install iis too. that only
takes about 5 minutes anyway.

thanks a bunch.

george hardy

Pat

Good you got Dominick put you through .
WIN2003 server uses another acct not the same as ASPNET.
PAtrick