    application, I get this error: It is an error to use a section registered as
    allow definition='Machineapplication' beyond application level, This error
    can be caused by virtual directory not configured as virtual application.

    Alex. O. Koranteng, Sep 30, 2008

  2. Hi Alex,

    This exception is generally caused by the fact that the web.config file in
    the sub folder is not correctly configured. Ideally the web.config should
    only contain authorization element, as below:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <authorization>
    <allow users="Test1" />
    <deny users="Test2" />
    </authorization>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

    Please try above code to see if it works. If it does, please then check if
    some other elements are added in it. For example, if I add the membership
    element it will throw following exception:

    allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
    error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
    application in IIS.

    Source Error:

    Line 30: <system.web>
    Line 31:
    Line 32: <membership defaultProvider="MyProvider1"
    userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15">
    Line 33: <providers>
    Line 34: <clear/>

    Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\membershiperror\test\web.config Line: 32

    From the above information we can see the memberhip element is the culprit

    Please check it to see what the culprit is and let me know if you need
    further assistance. Besides, here's a related post in the ASP.NET forum:
    http://forums.asp.net/t/769696.aspx

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    .

    http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

    --------------------

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Sep 30, 2008

  3. Hi Alex,

    Have you got it solved?

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support
    --------------------
    | From: (Allen Chen [MSFT])
    | Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 02:21:41 GMT
    | Subject: RE: Access to restricted folder
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
    |
    | Hi Alex,
    |
    | This exception is generally caused by the fact that the web.config file
    in
    | the sub folder is not correctly configured. Ideally the web.config should
    | only contain authorization element, as below:
    |
    | <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    | <configuration>
    | <system.web>
    | <authorization>
    | <allow users="Test1" />
    | <deny users="Test2" />
    | </authorization>
    | </system.web>
    | </configuration>
    |
    | Please try above code to see if it works. If it does, please then check
    if
    | some other elements are added in it. For example, if I add the membership
    | element it will throw following exception:
    |
    | Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as
    | allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
    | error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
    | application in IIS.
    |
    | Source Error:
    |

    | Line 30: <system.web>
    | Line 31:
    | Line 32: <membership defaultProvider="MyProvider1"
    | userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15">
    | Line 33: <providers>
    | Line 34: <clear/>
    |

    | Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\membershiperror\test\web.config Line:
    32

    | From the above information we can see the memberhip element is the
    culprit

    | Please check it to see what the culprit is and let me know if you need
    | further assistance. Besides, here's a related post in the ASP.NET forum:
    | http://forums.asp.net/t/769696.aspx
    |

    | Regards,
    | Allen Chen
    | Microsoft Online Community Support
    |

    | Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments and
    | suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to you.
    Please

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Oct 2, 2008
  4. Thanks for your help. I have added the authorization element to web config in
    the sub folder and things are working. What is the difference beteeen this
    approach and using the Security Admin tool. My next step to extend this
    functionality to other pages within the restricted folder, but I can only get
    one page to open for folder.
    Any suggestions

    Thanks

    Alex

    Alex. O. Koranteng, Oct 2, 2008
  5. Hi Alex,

    Quote from Alex==================================================
    What is the difference beteeen this approach and using the Security Admin
    tool

    The tool adds authorization tag in the web.config for us. The final effect
    we get by using these two approaches is basically identical. Do you mean
    your tool adds other elements as well?

    Quote from Alex ==================================================

    My next step to extend this
    functionality to other pages within the restricted folder, but I can only
    get
    one page to open for folder.

    Could you please clarify this? What do you mean by "but I can only get
    one page to open for folder"?

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Oct 3, 2008
  6. Hi Alex,

    Have you solved this issue? Please let me know if you need any assistance.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Oct 9, 2008